PDA

View Full Version : TDS meter

Mattzilla
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 01:47 PM
what does a TDS (total disolved solids) meter measure??? i don't really understand it. can someone help me out with the basics of it?

ta

flukes
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:37 AM
Thanks for asking that question as i have been wondering too, i think its more too do with using R.O units and i know you want it somewhere between 100 and 150 but as you i dont know exactly what it means..

fishpimp
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:18 AM
traditionally used in horticulture and water treatment tds meters measure tot dis solids as stated such as salts and minerals as plant fertilisers are basically salts, salinity- Big in hydroponics.
it measures the conductivity of the water. (hardness)
common t.d.s measurement units are e.c. , c.f or p.p.m.
obviously if you measured your water before and after adding say rock salt to aid fish skin health etc the tds meter would show a higher value after.
try this site for info dude should help http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/
onya sausage

flukes
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:07 PM
Knew i shouldnt have dropped Physics in yr 12.
Why then may i ask is a R/O unit just about complusory in the U.S and here is it only the serious keepers that use them.?? Are they trying to remove salt from the water?? Or what other TDS would be such a problem?
I am glad you brought this up matt because i was thinking about ordering a R/O unit from the states and i was deciding if too go all 5 stages or less when i thought about it i really didnt know what it did, so time for some research.
Ill have a good read through that page again...

flukes
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:38 PM
Ok first of thanks for the article that was a great read. Now how does this relate to discus? More specific i see people that are using R/O units that are mixing say 75% R/O 25% tap, So are some TDS needed in a aquarium?? I figure that a reading of 100-150pppm of TDS is what we want for discus keeping?
Is it not healthy for the fish too have 0ppm TDS's. ??
Proteus you use a R/O unit yeah?? Do you use it one all your tanks and do you find much of a difference? Would love to know what our TDS's are out of the tap. Also Pro do you have a D/I installed on the unit and where abouts did you get it?? I was thinking of ordering one from Randy in the U.S cause he makes them i have more trust in them, then something produced in mass numbers on a manufacturing line.

Ok now iam going to have a read on R/O's and D/I's....
Might have to order the kit after all.

Cheers
Scott

fishpimp
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 11:28 AM
as far as i've established off other breeders here in oz yes 0ppm tds is too soft for tropical fish as they become suseptible to disease cos theyre immune system becomes lazy? breeders only seem to run 2/3 ro water and the reason for it is to maximise the amount of wrigglers obtained from egg clutches. 95-100% success as opposed to 65-70%.(you know u get the white funky ones)
on a technical level i believe the reason is that when the tank water is over 200ppm tds how much i am not sure , harder than the fluid in an unhatched fertile egg ,* it will actually move thru the membrane and interfere with the egg.*
if the water is softer in the tank or similar to that liquid in the egg the fluid transfer is reversed and is beneficial not harmful.
i'm gonna contact a breeder now and ask him to clarify this again for us as it's interesting stuff and i'm learning all the time.
a factor of how the solids actually come into existence in our water is the use of varying types of metals in the piping system used to deliver the water to our homes creating electrolysis <-- you know like how the cylinder head and alloy parts corrode in cars (steel block etc).
discus are more better than cars hey! .looking forward to other posts following to correct me and add to conv.
d.f. rocks

flukes
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:35 PM
Damn you have me really intrested now. Wish i had a TDS meter too know what my current levels where. Ill have too see if there is a LFS that does TDS tests. Then i will decide if i need an R/O unit in the future.

Cheers
Scott