PDA

View Full Version : Effects of medications on filter media

RichVic
Sun Mar 19, 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi to all
Have just read the geo-liquid brochure and was surprised by a note stating that medications destroy filter media and they need to be replaced as the good bacteria cannot re-colonise contaminated media? Also, the geo-liquid recognises medications as contaminants & removes them before they can work? Any comments from people who have used geo-liquid ?
Vicki

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 07:20 AM
I have used geo-liquid in the past, and yes, they do make some amazing claims. Not sure if you can believe all of it tho.

I haven't used it for over 3 years, and have honestly not seen any difference in either the health or growth rate of my fish and fry.

So, while I'm sure it's probably got some good things in there, they don't seem to be essential to discus health.

As far as medications destroying filter media ..........hmmm well if the medication is strong enough to kill your bio filtration, the I would certainly throw away your filter floss and start with new stuff. Same with any carbon you may have in there. But as far as the noodles or bio balls you have in there ....no. I would simply rinse them well after soaking in a strong salt solution, and re use them.

Some medications are designed to kill bacteria in the water, and they will destroy your bio filter, but others, such as worm treatments don't affect your bacteria. It all depends on the medication. Read your labels carefully, and you can always post a question here if in doubt.