PDA

View Full Version : 100 gallon aquaruim

happydiscus
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 03:51 AM
how many discus would u recomend for a 100 gallon aquarium with weekly water changes not planted. My dad say we might be able to get a six footer next month :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol:

chrissyoscar
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 03:59 AM
I would say 10-12 adult size should be fine.
They say 1 adult for every 10 gallons of water is roughly what you should have.

Oscar

happydiscus
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:25 AM
what would be the best filter for it are internal filters good :? :? :? :?

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 09:07 AM
filters are only as good as the maintence done to them

your filter should turn the water over four times an hour

other than that, i only know what i do with my system..

i don't run canister's any more, not because i don't like them i just haven't used them in such a long time i would give bad adivce

Proteus
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 12:11 PM
Personally for a 100G (380L) tank I would be only considering a mini-reef/sump set up... especially for excellent water conditions which Discus prefer.

However, I also use HOB's (14 x AquaClears) several canisters and heaps of sponge filters...

flukes
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 01:15 PM
Iam with Proteus use a sump/mini reef. You can overkill the media and doesnt take up any tank space. Cleaning is easy. You might also want some sponge filters or HOB's.

happydiscus
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 05:00 AM
how much $$$$$ are sumps i heard they are costly

are the tanks with filters and lights in the hood good??
also what would be a list of thing to start off in the hobby :lol: :?

flukes
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:02 PM
A sump you can make yourself, the thing that will cost you is the pump. I think with pump prices now on the plumet you should be able to put one together for around $100 including pump. Which is cheaper than any cannister filter you would need for that size tank. Actually being that size you would probably need 2 cannisters. So go with the sump, then for a bit extra put in a sponge filter at each end. Again if your handy with making things you could put together sponge filters also. Iam a bit of a tight ass so i ll try make something before i buy it.
Look at Age of Aquariums, they have some great prices on pumps, and since your ordering the pump might as well get your bio balls. Then all you need is a 2-3ft tank some perspex and a little handy work and your in business. Get some foam from clark rubber and some egg crate from a roof/celing place (bunnings might have it) and thats about it.

There is a nice picture of a sump Ryan posted on the other topic, if you can make something like that you should be happy. Although it doesnt have too be that high tech.

Here is a link to making sponge filters.
http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=2618;st art=60

Couldnt find a sump page, jjust happened i had that URL in my Favorites, along with a heap of other aquatic related sites :lol:

Anyway good luck
And remember before you buy....D.I.Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happydiscus
Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:07 AM
all sump related website pls post

kalebjarrod
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 08:09 AM
use your imagination...

sumps are a storage unit for pumps and other items to sit in

they can be tanks, 44 gallon drums, wheely bins, tupperware containers etc etc

remember to look around at items you deal with every day, one of them will end up looking like a sump after long.

the rest of the filtration system will follow along, depending on the sump, you could use a simple storage container from super cheap auto to house your bio balls etc etc

most DIY stuff takes some investigation so you have an understanding on how the product works, when you know this you can manipulate it to suit your needs.

or you can buy a setup system for $800.00 from your local LFS (not including pumps etc)

Ryan

happydiscus
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:40 AM
Are long tanks better for discus or high tanks ????

kalebjarrod
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:56 AM
my tank is 1m deep by 700mm by 700mm

this is because of where it goes in my lounge

most Discus will prefer a longer tank, they a generally bottom feeders

mine don't seem to mind the deep tank, but i think they would find more personal space in a tank of the same Lts size longer not deeper.

plus you can buy them much cheaper