PDA

View Full Version : handfeed

happydiscus
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 02:03 AM
do any of u handfeed ur discus :lol: as in put ur hand and some food in the water and the fish rush towords you :roll:

Annie
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 07:17 AM
OH, Gosh!! All I have to do is walk up to the Discus tank and they know it is time to feed. They have been hand fed since a month after I got them. It was a thing that Luvfishies had told me that would do if you fed them that way. Now, all my fish, my Kribs, Rams and the Rainbows, hand fed with the Discus (all but the Black Neon Tetras and the Lemon Tetras)

Proteus
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 12:13 PM
OMG...

There is nothing like having a large Discus slam into your hand trying to pry the food away...

tis called interaction :wink:

Chris McMahon
Sun Jul 11, 2004, 12:51 PM
Yep, I hand feed my discus. It's the best way to stop frozen bloodworms getting sucked straight into the filter. I just hold a cube between my fingers and the discus peck away at it.

My single bully discus in my small tank has now taught my platys to hand feed too.

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:18 PM
my son master 5 asks all the time when he comes over for the weekends to feed the fish he tells ma that they tickle when they try to eat his fingers instead of the food

Proteus
Fri Jul 16, 2004, 02:45 AM
oh, there is nothing like the beauty of a fish such as the Discus to get kids interested in the hobby, but to get them interacting with the fish... simply awesum.

lesley
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:17 AM
I handfeed too. I think it is a good way of getting new fish used to you as well. On the rare occasions I have had bullying I have found that it means that the fish who are getting a little less can come up with confidence to get what they need, and it seems that the other fish get used to them being there and don't chase them off as much.

Makes them easier to catch too if you want to change tanks or get a breeding pair out.

nicholas76
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 11:07 PM
I used to hand feed untill my leopord went a little too hard forget to yank the breaks and dived out the tank.

now i feed the normal way.