PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide height from tank

rossfbus
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I'm just in the process of completing a 6 x 2 x 2 planted discus tank. Plants are in co2 etc. My problem is that the aqua-one 3 x 150 metal halide light I'm using is setup with spacers mounted on the tank top rather than hanging from the ceiling (long story but near on impossible to hang the light from the raked ceiling. Anyhow, I'm trying to determine the correct height to have the metal halide from the top of the tank. Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Ross

Proteus
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 06:48 AM
welcome to DF.com

first question, are you going to use lids, or have it open?

If no lids are used the light does not have to be so high.

rossfbus
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 08:10 AM
No lids. Just a bare top.

AussieStar
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
well i have mine 25cm from top of the tank, but i have lids on

rossfbus
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, I am having temp problems with the tank, with the heater off the water temp was at 32.6 at close of play yesterday....considering it is a new tank with all new hardware I was concerned it may have been the 400w heater playing up but that temp was recorded with the heater switced off for 12 hours. I've lifted the light to 250cm, will see how things go today. Not much point trying to put fish in if their going to fry!!

goldenpigeon
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 06:18 AM
250cm???? was that a typo??? 250cm is a long way from your tank to have the light.

rossfbus
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 11:12 AM
Definately a typo...let's try 25cm like the thread before.

tommy110011
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 07:33 AM
I also have found that the top half of the tank gets very hot with the halides so close.

Mine are hung 20cm from the water level.

I also had problems hanging halides form the roof and thus manufactured a metal bracket that they hang from. See attachment..

Regards
Tommy

DiscusMad
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:37 PM
I saw a 150 metal halide light at bunnings for$49 the other day how much did you pay for yours?

dreamer
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
for $49 its probably a flood light even its a no brand magnetic ballast its still to cheap.

DiscusMad
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
thanks dreamer

can they be enclosed in a hood with fan that has hight or do they need to be an open hood

kalebjarrod
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:06 PM
you would need a extremley large hood

standard hoos would get WAY WAY to hot

you would get to a point of lightly chare grilling your little fishes (remember to seal both side's so you don't lose the flavour)

thats why most are hung above the tank, great airflow thus heat escapes

heaps easier :wink:

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 12:42 AM
OR if u were into the DIY u wcould have your hood that goes right up to the ceiling and have swing ope doors to access the tank. have the hot air rise up into the roof (via a grate in the ceiling or something, i havnt thought about how to do that yet) and then have a whirly bird in the roof to expell the heat.

this is still in rought draft process still hahahaha so some of it probably doesnt make sense. might be costly but the overall effect if well done would be spectacular.

AussieStar
Fri Apr 07, 2006, 06:45 AM
yer i had heat problems untill i installed 3 pc fans ans a exhaust fan in my hood and got a chiller now im under contol of heat lol

twobunnyrabbit
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 05:53 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering what problems are there with trying to hang MH from the ceiling?

Is it because the light fixture is too heavy to be hung? Ceiling plasterboard not thick enough? Can it be safely done by an average bloke with a drill and not have the whole thing crashing into the tank! :cry:

Any handyman or electrician here would like to enlighted me(us) on this? I'm thinking of upgrading my lights and have it hung from the ceiling.

Thanks.

Davo
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
twobunnyrabbit,

If you have a plaster ceiling if possible screw the hook (or whatever fitting you need) into a batton/beam that the giprock is nailed to. If you cannot do this do you have access to the roof cavity above your ceiling, do you have a manhole? If you do you can place a piece of timber across 2 battons/beams and then screw thru the plaster into the piece of timber. This will support the light fitting. You may have to place a block of timber to fill the space between the ceiling and the piece of timber but it is not difficult.

If you have a concrete ceiling it is even easier.

This might sound difficult but it is not too difficult.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

twobunnyrabbit
Sat Apr 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
davo,

thanks for the reply.
Its a two storey house, and the tanks are on the ground floor, so no manhole. Probably need one of them studd finders to find the beams.

But i have come across this thread over at planted tank. Check it out, looks like a nice solution to the problem..
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/26865-240-gallon-photo-journal-begins-56k-3.html

Think this may be the way to go, but still keeping the option open.