PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilisers, are they needed?

Nathan
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 12:13 AM
if you havnt read any of my posts im about to purchase a tank for discus (today hopefully) and ive been doing research on different euqiptmeant and things and im just wondering what you guys feel about on uv steriliers, this is for a 170l tank.

Nathan

sharn
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
alot of people swear by them and they are good at keeping your tank free of alot of nasties that can make your discus sick, also remove algae. however, the only downside i can think of is that they become so used to clean water their immune system is lowered and if they ever get moved to a tank without one they can get very sick and im not sure how you would get one used to normal water again?

its up to you, work out the pros and cons and see if its right for you, alot of people that try them refuse to ever be without one again so they must be good!

Nathan
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:51 AM
well i did purchase one and (bought the rest of the setup today aswel :D) I wont be upgrading or getting anymore tanks (unfortunately) so i dont think it will be to much of an issue.

thanx
Nathan

Inspiringfish
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:19 PM
I've used and now use again a UV. I hooked one up on a 125 gal. that was a month old. The UV sent the cycle out of wack. (It cylcled over or lost some of it's affectiveness). I turned it off until the tank was more established (another month, 2 months total) and now seems to do wonders for my tank.

I guess what I'm sayin is , I believe it will also kill some benificial bacteria and / or slow down your cycling process.

I'm newer at this so please check and clarify any truth to this.

DR.V
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:26 PM
Some of my tank got no UV. And they're all fine, dont have any problem at all. Just maintain good water quality, ie : regular Water changes.

But if you got extra cash, I would recommend that you install one into your tank.

HTH

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 05:06 PM
Interesting observation Mark. Yes it will kill any free floating bacteria in the water, both good and bad, and if your tank is not fully cycled, there will be some of the good bacteria floating in the water.

Once you bio filtration colony is safely established in your filter or your gravel, you should have no more problems.

BTW a very warm welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time with us.

G-1000
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 02:11 AM
In my opinion UV sterilisers are crucial.

You have a much less chance of discus dying due to disease and also, any disease they get will not be anywhere near as severe.

They are not a substitute for regular water changes !

G

Brad
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:16 AM
have used them but wouldnt say you 'need' them at all.but they can be helpful and wont really hurt.

If you keep water quality good and quarantine(QT) ALL stock including plants first you will never have a problem.

Discus just dont die from diseases etc unless they are there in the first place.
UV wont change that
QT is the only way.

Bill T.
Mon May 01, 2006, 06:36 AM
Despite all my best attempts, I had a number of disease outbreaks and on one ocassion a total fish wipe out before investing in a U.V. steriliser.
Now my fish are all health and happy. Even the odd scrape from fighting heals up without intervention.
I don't think the U.V. eradicates all bacteria, but rather keeps pathogen levels very low. U.V. does that - in the great outdoors, old SOL does that as a matter of course.
Trouble with a closed environment like an aquarium is, if by accident you happen to get some "bug" in there, it can really take off.
(Even with the U.V. sterilser, I try to keep my hands out of the tank and always wash with tap water up to my forearm before putting my hand into the tank.)

Good luck and careful management & you should be O.K.

jim from sydney
Mon May 01, 2006, 11:10 AM
I have them on all my tanks.........great value.

Cliffeh
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:14 PM
Worth it in my opinion just as a clarifier let alone steriliser. The plug on mine occasionally gets knocked and turns off.. I can tell when this has happened because the algae starts to return... plug it back in and the creeping green stuff is held at bay again.

(next time I put a tank at 90 degrees to the window someone pinch me ;)

crazie.eddie
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:23 PM
Majority of the benificial (good) bacteria is on the surfaces of plants, substrate, decor, filter media, etc. All the bad stuff (algae spores, parasites, etc.) are free floating looking for hosts. Therefore, running a UV filter on a already established tank would be benifical to the health of the fish.

FishLover
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:38 PM
I add one for my 125 g tank and very happy about it. The flow speed is the key for any UV system. I paid about $80 for mine and I think it was money well spent.

Proteus
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 12:00 AM
Consider a UV as insurance.

If used correctly it can certainly help minimise illness and infection

Idisscusdiscus
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't use one and my discus are fine. They are a nice bonus though. As long as you make routine water changes you should be fine without a UV.

Inspiringfish
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
Awesome logo 1discusdiscus!!!!!!

Phlipper
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have never used it at all for many years and never had a problem.

I think the overall suggestion is......if you can stretch the budget and install it to give that little more protection then do so, but it is not the only answer to keeping fish healthy, I dont think it is crucial at all, but is likely of to be of added benefit if money permits 8-)

Cliffeh
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
I managed to pick up a Vecton at a local car boot sale for qurter the cost of the internet price so I now have a clarifier in teh main tank and steriliser in the 50g.

I agree with people here, nice to have but not an essential.

Idisscusdiscus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:47 AM
Uvs can greatly benefit your tank but they are not required. Its better you have one than not.

MattB
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 10:58 AM
Quick question: I have a 120cm x 45cm x 35cm 189L tank that I am going to set up with discus, does anyone know roughly how much a UV steriliser would cost for this kind of tank in $AU?

TIA :P

Nathan
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
about $150 minimum, i think itd be worth havn a look at these an maybe even buying one from these guys.

u wont be dissapointed
http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=27

jim from sydney
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 10:52 PM
i agree with Nathan, i have them on all my tanks....check with Ben (aq.products) great value

Jadels
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:06 AM
Hey i would check out ebay - i have seen brand new with a waranty (cant go too wrong) 9w ones go for $50AUD and 11W for around $80AUD.. just a thought ebay is great for picking up bargains -

Proteus
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
Hey i would check out ebay - i have seen brand new with a waranty (cant go too wrong) 9w ones go for $50AUD and 11W for around $80AUD.. just a thought ebay is great for picking up bargains -

You get what you pay for. I guarantee the cheapo models on ebay come with no-name UV tubes, which have been proven to only last 4-6 months before having to be replaced.

Pondmasters come with medical grade Philips tubes, DeBary come with there own branded high grade tubes etc etc.

Yes, there are plenty of bargains out there, but remember, how much are your fish worth?

Nathan
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:33 PM
perhaps this should be made a sticky for those wondering whether to buy one or not.

Proteus
Mon Jul 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
There is already a post which in the equipment section which is a sticky...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

However, over the next day or so I will combine the information to create a better informational resource regarding UV's

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:11 AM
i think the thread should be renamed including the name uv sterliser, because i thought it was just a lighting system thread not uv sterliser