PDA

View Full Version : Product Review - "Seachem Flourish excel"

Proteus
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
"Flourish excel - Organic Carbon for the Planted Aquarium"

Flourish Excel™ is a source of bioavailable organic carbon. All plants require a source of carbon. This is typically obtained from CO2, but, may also be derived from simple organic compounds (such as photosynthetic intermediates). Therefore, one can derive a substantial benefit with the use of Flourish Excel™ either alone or in conjunction with CO2 injection. Flourish Excel™ also has iron reducing properties which promote the ferrous state of iron (Fe+2), which is more easily utilized by plants than ferric iron (Fe+3). Flourish Excel™ is an integral component of Seachem’s plant products and is recommended for use with the entire Flourish™ line as well as our Flourite™ and Onyx Sand™ substrates. Contains no phosphate or nitrate.

DIRECTIONS: On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums.

I have previously used other brands of ferts and have only started to use Flourish excel in the past 2 weeks, and WOW, has it made a difference.

I have been dosing my planted tank every other day as per instructions (plus the initial dose) and the plants have never been greener, the water clarity has improved, my Red Lotus is 100% richer in colour and some thread algae I had growing on some of my Sword leafs has gone.

I have heard other people rave about it, and now I am hooked. (thankfully it is on special, I can stock up on a few litres)

Proteus
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:49 AM
some more info from the Seachem product database:

Carbon is the backbone of all life. Every organic molecule of every living organism is carbon based. Given this simple fact, it becomes clear why carbon dioxide (CO2) plays a pivotal role in the planted aquarium. Aquatic plants extract CO2 from their environment and employ it in a process called photosynthesis. Photosynthesis combines CO2, water and light energy to produce simple carbohydrates and oxygen (O2) (See Fig.1).
Growth rates of aquatic plants are strongly correlated with availability of carbon and the plant’s affinity for carbon uptake. Studies have shown that plants with the greatest carbon affinity have the greatest growth rates, whereas those with lower carbon affinity have correspondingly slower growth rates. Because carbon availability is normally the limiting factor to growth, addition of CO2 to a planted aquarium will always result in large increases in growth (assuming other critical elements are not lacking). Without additional CO2 the growth rate will be dependent on the rate at which atmospheric CO2 equilibrates into the water. CO2 will dissolve into CO2–free water to a degree that is dependent on the air pressure, temperature, pH and bicarbonate/carbonate content of the water. The final concentration of CO2 in the water depends entirely on those factors. Once that concentration is achieved the level of CO2 will not change unless the plants remove it or one of the other factors is altered.

Plants remove CO2 at a rate much greater than the rate at which it equilibrates into the water. So at the height of CO2 utilization the plants limit their own growth by using up all available CO2. Because CO2 is an integral component of the bicarbonate buffer system a drop in CO2 will necessarily result in a rise in pH. As the pH rises the influx of additional atmospheric CO2 will be diminished by its conversion to bicarbonate. This is offset somewhat by hard water plants that can utilize bicarbonate directly. However, without routine water changes or buffer additions (Alkaline Buffer™ or Liquid Alkaline Buffer™) this path will eventually lead to complete depletion of the KH (carbonate hardness) which will result in dramatic pH swings from day to night (5.7 – 9.6).
CO2 injection bypasses this predicament by delivering a constant source of CO2. Because the introduction of CO2 will lower pH one has two options: (1) Monitor and calibrate the rate of CO2 addition to precisely match the usage by the plants or (2) use a pH feedback metering system. (2) is ideal because as the pH falls below a certain point the CO2 turns off, thus avoiding catastrophic pH drops.
If one is not quite ready for the initial investment in a CO2 injection system but would still like to enjoy some of the benefits of adding additional carbon there is an alternative: Flourish Excel™. Flourish Excel™ is a simple source of readily available organic carbon.

As mentioned, the reason plants need CO2 is to produce longer chain carbon compounds also known as photosynthetic intermediates. Photosynthetic intermediates includes compounds such as ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate, and 2-carboxy-3-keto-D-arabinitol 1,5 bisphosphate. Although the names are complicated, the structures are quite simple (5 carbon chains). See Figure 2. Flourish Excel™ does not contain these specific compounds per se, but one that is quite similar. By dosing with Flourish Excel™ you bypass the involvement of CO2 and introduce the already finished, structurally similar compounds. It is in its structural similarity that Flourish Excel™ is able to be utilized in the carbon chain building process of photosynthesis. Simple chemical or enzymatic steps can easily convert it to any one

to any one of the above named compounds (or a variety of others). Because Flourish Excel™ is an organic carbon source it does not impact pH. Flourish Excel™ also has iron reducing properties which promote the ferrous state of iron (Fe+2), which is more easily utilized by plants than ferric iron (Fe+3).
The use of either CO2 injection or Flourish Excel™ does not necessarily negate the use of the other. Because the processes of producing photosynthetic intermediates and building onto them occur simultaneously, one can derive a substantial benefit with the use of Flourish Excel™ either alone or in conjunction with CO2 . The combination is particularly ideal for situations when continuing to add CO2 could result in dangerously low pH levels.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 08:32 AM
I'm using Flourish Excel and have also noticed a big difference in the growth of plants.

Can you tell me if there is an optimum time of add Flourish to the water. Is it better first thing in the morning, when the lights are turned on, or at night, before lights out, or doesn't it matter?

taksan
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm using Flourish Excel and have also noticed a big difference in the growth of plants.

Can you tell me if there is an optimum time of add Flourish to the water. Is it better first thing in the morning, when the lights are turned on, or at night, before lights out, or doesn't it matter?

Flourish Excel should be added just prior to lights on as it is only useful during daylight.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
8-)

:booty:

Proteus
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
Flourish Excel should be added just prior to lights on as it is only useful during daylight.

Dr Taksan's in da house....

:P

Sime76
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:24 AM
It also kills BBA! :D

oscar
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
Proteus,

I've got Seachem's Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Trace.

I'm thinking of getting some Flourish Excel and the Flourish N, P, and K's as well.

It's an expensive way to go, but i've always been a believer in the use of one complete system as opposed to bits and pieces of various systems.

The question i ask is that do you reduce the dosage of each product on account that there will be a slight overlap of elements between them, apart from their specific targets?

Proteus
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:52 AM
The question i ask is that do you reduce the dosage of each product on account that there will be a slight overlap of elements between them, apart from their specific targets?

I am sure someone more qualified on this can provide an accurate answer (hint, Mark, Duck???)

Overall, I have only used the Flourish excel product (aside from Florena and others in the past) and the results are outstanding. I can only imagine how good things would be if you used the entire range of ferts.

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 01:40 AM
i used this product about 2 weeks ago (just finished the bottle :( ) and it was great!!!! my sword plant has just sprouted 3 runnera nad i have already gotten 3 new plants from it!! just waiting for the rest to grow hehehehehehe

vishy
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 03:40 AM
Some of my mates have had excelent results with o/d this stuff to clear off BBA, one was told top pull hgis tank apart it looked that bad(like a black forest :lol: ) after a few weeks it looks like new just smal amount of growth, http://perthcichlid.com/pcs/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4078&start=15 for pics
Matt

Proteus
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 03:41 AM
I saw that thread, and the results are amazing

duck
Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:36 PM

Dose the right amount for your tank,I would only reduce the amount of time's you dose.
Keep in mind there are lot's of variable's,Something we are not getting into on this thread,IE lighting,CO2,Are the plant's bursting the seams of the tank ect ect, that could be a factor in how many time's you dose and how much?
For a low light no CO2, excel is excellent add that with flourish you can't go wrong,Your NP come's from the fish,food,waste.
Just to give you an idea what i dose for my 80liter tank which runs
108watt's of light's and CO2,5mlx3 of flourish,5mlx3 of iron a week.

oscar
Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:59 PM
It's expensive when you have to dose 800+L :?

Proteus
Mon May 01, 2006, 11:50 PM
oscar, what dosage do you use, or are you using an alternative with that volume of water?

oscar
Tue May 02, 2006, 12:24 AM
Proteus,

I've got low light (4x4' T8's) + CO2 on the tank.

I'm putting in:
Flourish - 15ml
Iron - 15ml
Trace - 50ml

2-3 times a week. It's not quite as per recommended dose.

The reason it gets expensive is the trace product isn't available in 2L and you have to dose it quite a lot.

Getting great results from these products. :)

marg
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:37 AM
This stuff is great!!.

Proteus recommended it to me about 2 weeks ago so I purchased some from one of our sponsors. Prior to using it all my Plants looked prettty ill. I was forever replacing them.

I am happy to say that they are all looking great now - so much so that for the first time ever I am actually beginning to trim my plants.

I am about to become more adventurous and Order some plants online from the same sponsor, and at the same time will order a Larger container of this product.

Flourish Ecxel rocks!!!.

Regards,

Marg.

oscar
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:41 PM
I will purchase some excel soon...when i can maintain my tank properly again. Have cut back my ferts, don't want it getting out of control.

Broke my RHS collar bone on the motorcycle a week & 1/2 ago.

Unfortunately it's not a little tank that you can work on with one arm. :(

Ben
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:30 PM
I give this product the "Bens thumbs up" :thumb

Merrilyn
Wed May 03, 2006, 06:49 AM
Broke my RHS collar bone on the motorcycle a week & 1/2 ago.

So sorry to hear that Oscar. Hope you're feeling better now. :(

oscar
Wed May 03, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Merrilyn.

It's bit annoying in terms of immobility and loss of indedpendence, but not so painful anymore.

Brilliant
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 06:39 PM
This product is awesome and the only product that is a co2 supplement and not a "combination miracle liquid" filled with other junk.

It is very expensive to dose large tanks. Thats why I moved to pressurized co2.

I still use this product to dose my small tanks.

With each co2 manifold I purchase I need this product less and less... ;)

loudog
Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:32 PM
I have been using Flourish Excel for around 8 months now and I will never stop. Originally, I was told to use it to remove a heavy concentration of BBA, and it worked incredibly. I triple dosed for three weeks and all BBA died off almost completely. My plants have never been better..... this is a great and inexpensive way to introduce Co2. I have had nothing but luck using Excel and Peat.... and the fish thank me for a lush green forest that they can hide in..... I guess that is the only bad thing about it.