PDA

View Full Version : Very Sick Pigeon Blood

Daetarek
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:51 AM
Hi Guys,
my pigeon blood seems to be sick, he cannot seem to swim level, usually tipped to one side a little and face pointing up, doesn't seem to eat, scared of all the other including ones a third his size, and is only breathing through his right gill.

He is VERY skitish and freaks easy, panicking the others :(

Please Help, i have attached a pic to give an idea of the state he is in ...

Daetarek
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:55 AM
I have treated the tank with worm-rid, 11 tablets for 220l is the dose rate, thats got praziquantel in it, which is supposed to help if its flukes right, which is my guess. They needed worming anyhow

whats very strange is he is only like this maybe 40% of the time, the rest of the time he seems fine ....

any help will be much appreciated, i don't wanna stress him out by changing tanks etc, if i don't have to

ta
Rob

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:20 AM
Rob, how long has he been like this?

Daetarek
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:33 AM
four or five days maybe ... i only just gave them worm rid today when i noticed he seemed to be getting worse rather than better

i have noticed he is using his other gill but only very small and gentle amounts, he has pecked a little at food today but no where near the appetitie of the others

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
I wonder if it's a swim bladder disorder, or maybe a bacterial infection in the gut.

Worming should have helped.

I'd just keep the water very clean, and observe at the moment.

It might help to get hold of some metro in case you need it.

Daetarek
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 06:35 AM
Where would i get some of that ?

unfortunatly i have had to go out of town for a few days, i won't get to check on him till tommorow :(

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 17, 2006, 08:22 AM
Metro is an antibiotic, also known as Flagyl.

You need to get it from your local vet, as it's prescription only.

Daetarek
Sun Mar 19, 2006, 08:57 PM
Well i got back last night, desperatly worried, but he seems to be fine, swimming has improved and he seems to be breathing better through his right gill, he still has moments of hiding and acting wierd but they are less frequent now, so i guess he is getting better :)

thanks for the help all, i will keep you up to date but he seems much better :)

ta
Rob

Daetarek
Sun Mar 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well he keeps hiding in the corner as in the picture shot, but only when feeding, and i have noticed that he is bullied by the others a fair bit :(