PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Dr Axelrod's Atlas Of Freshwater Fish

OscarManAlpha
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
Well I'm not going to be able to say enough for this book.

( so I'll keep it short ) for now anyhow !!!

If you have a roving eye for fish as I'm sure most of you do. Then IMHO nothing even comes close to this.

The photo's of the pages I have taken don't come anywhere near the real thing and the colours are very representative of the fish we keep ( not touched up and enhanced but rather true to life)

In many cases it shows the wild form of the fish and then domesticated colour morphs so one can see what family a fish belongs to.

7800 plus photo's no wonder it weighs so much.

While the internet is a great resource you can't Google something you don't have a name for or you have never seen before thats why I purchased this book.

Every time I pick it up I discover a new fish.

If anyone asks you what you want for your birthday make sure you have this book in the forefront of your mind.

I wanted to get the book a long time ago I couldn't resist at the current price.

I have kept this post short as I'm busy looking at the photo's. If anyone already has this book and wants to add more please do.

I will add more later but as I just got the book I can't stay away....

Thanks to APW for discounting this book to it's current price.

Cheers,

Mark

FishLover
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 06:59 PM
Most reviews I read from other people says it does not have enough information on fish, just loaded with pictures. If you are into pictures only, this is the book for you. Otherwise, it may not be much useful at all.

Go to Amazon.com and search for this title. It will give you some reviews from other people.

OscarManAlpha
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:49 AM
Most reviews I read from other people says it does not have enough information on fish, just loaded with pictures. If you are into pictures only, this is the book for you. Otherwise, it may not be much useful at all.

Go to Amazon.com and search for this title. It will give you some reviews from other people.

I did read those reviews before I purchased this book.

And I agree with nearly all of them the positive and the negative alike.

Would I purchase this book again ? YES

Will it still be looked at by me or my now 8 year ( his developing an interest in fish :D ) nephew in 30-40 years ?

YES

I will write more of my thoughts when time permits.

But as is the crux of this hobby and what makes it so interesting is the many different ways of doing things and opinions ect.....

It's just one of many books I intend to add to my collection.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:04 AM
I bought Axlerod's Encyclopaedia of Tropical Fish back in 1970 (yes I am that old LOL) and it has been one of my most used reference sources over the years.

Last year I bought this new book, and finally retired my old friend to the top shelf in the library.

This new Atlas has been just as helpful, and used just as often as my old book.

At the price of the book, I agree it's a luxury, but it's something I'll use for the next 20 or 30 years.

JMHO.

Ben
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:36 AM
Great review OscarManAlpha!

Thanks for sharing.

cheers
Ben

Ben
Sun Nov 12, 2006, 01:39 AM
Its taken me 10 months of savings!!! I just purchased this book! A great book to have but not recommended for bedtime reading!

OscarManAlpha
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 08:41 AM
G'day Ben,

Check this out !!

Parotocinclus

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/p_maculicauda.htm

Too many fish to little time / :

Cheers,

Mark