PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium And Discus shops in Sydney

happydiscus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 08:27 AM
hello i was just wondering where good discus and aquarium shops are in and around sydney

thx

happydiscus :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proteus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:36 AM
you are right next door to perhaps the best in the state... especially when it comes to Discus...

Slippery Little Suckers
632 Anzac Parade
Kingsford NSW 2032

Phone: (02) 9315 5288
Fax: (02) 9315 5388

Go down and say hi to George and the crew... also Kev (Kevkoi) usually sticks his head in although he is overseas at the moment...

HTH

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:45 PM
I agree Slippery Little Suckers is a great place to go.

when I first started with discus what I thought looked good at the time boy was I wrong I relised when I went to Slippery Little Suckers and saw the great healthy stock

Mattzilla
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 03:26 PM
can't go wrong with SLS.....

jamesmc
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 04:44 AM
For me the best discus shop in sydney is

trans aquarium in Canley Vale. Great discus at good prices and cheap accessories

Monaco aquarium, also at canley Vale, has very cheap acccessories, but the discus are cheap and nasty in my opinion (and colour fed)

New to the game is St George Pet mart and aquarium. They are getting some decent stock in of late.

On the odd occassion, Marickville aquarium will give you are good deal on a larger discus.

The competition is tough, and although most guys on this forum appear to be keen on SLS, (and particularly the pleasant and informative service provided by Kev), it certainly pays to shop around.

James

happydiscus
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 07:05 AM
where did kev go??

DiscusMad
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:04 PM
where the heck is St George Pet mart and aquarium???? lol

flukes
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:39 PM
Kev was deported, his visa ran out......he sends his regards.. :lol:

Or maybe just a holiday.

kevkoi
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:23 PM
Good one Scott.....
Was away on hols. JUST touched down early this morning.

Should be arranging a shipment of discus within the next 3 weeks from Penang. There were some nice discus I saw in Bangkok, mostly LARGE fish. The small fish I saw at some of the farms were all colourfed to the hill. Most large farms with export lisences to Australia in Thailand (Bangkok) seem to be middleman/wholesalers and not breeders themselves.

I like buying direct from the breeder. Better quality and much better price.

Up-coming shipment would be a very price competitive shipment with lots of very affordable fish. Quality as usual would be as per usual - top quality fish ONLY.

kev

flukes
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 01:51 AM
good too hear Kev, cant wait too see what this shipment has..

jluna
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 09:31 PM
does anyone know the address for marrickville aquarium?

kevkoi
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:56 AM
Hey Justin... which just reminds me, next week the shipment of South American dwarf cichlids form the Czech Rep clears quarantine (Tuesday). I've just had a look at them and there are a few AWESOME looking new varieties!!!

Prices are extremely good for imported European stock as well.

A number of very rare and first time in country apistogramma sp.

DiscusMad
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 01:19 PM
Bugger and payday is not untill next week lol

cichlidfan
Thu Jul 29, 2004, 09:28 PM
Hi All,
RIVERSIDE AQUARIUM AND CICHLID CENTRE has just received a decent shipment of Discus and they are all good size and nice shape. :lol: :lol:

weird
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:30 AM
Well I checked out trans aquarium today and boy was it worth it ... I came prepared and brought a big eskie ! The food there is at incredible prices, hikari bloodworms and brine shrimp ! Only ones they did not have which I wanted was discus food (type of beef heart), but they had regular beef heart - he said he did not have enough demand for this one - maybe we can change that ? The trip was 50 mins for me from Chatswood ... but I would do it again. I recommend doing what I did, bring an eskie cause you will walking away with alot of frozen food. And also the dry food is at incredible prices too !

Davo
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:46 AM
I have been to just about every LFS in Sydney and Slippery Little Suckers is the best by far for Discus and advice re discus.

Dave.

parasite
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:14 AM
IMO, if ur after some good quality fish, then go see the gang at SLS u will be satisfied :lol:

skoom
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 04:09 PM
SLS has great fish and friendly advice. Can't agree more.

Canley Vale isn't bad for hardware and food.

discussushi
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:23 PM
Im quite surprised that everyone is still buying from LFS in sydney, nothing against SLS, they do a great job. But Syd has a huge amount of breeders, where u can go and pick out the best of their batches. Also see the parents and know that they're going to be stronger and more accoustomed to the Australian conditions. I wont buy any Discus from LFS for exactly these reasons. Not to mention the prices???????

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:46 PM
But Syd has a huge amount of breeders, where u can go and pick out the best of their batches.

Looks like we need more than, "if you build it they will come", most of us don't know where these breeders are ... they don't seem to advertise !?

Thanks discussushi for respecting SLS, cause yes they do an awesome job.

discussushi
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:53 PM
If you contact the ADA at: contact@ausdiscus.com.au they will put you onto a couple, and let them know what you are partically looking for and they will probably point you in the right direction of someone.

Trebs
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:17 PM
Canley Vale and Monaco are the best bets for hardware/food.

As for buying discus if you haven't kept them before, try and find a local breeder. Get some common strain fish and get your feet wet.

Discus imported from Asia will give you greater choice esp' the fancy strains. I wouldn't recommend them for beginners though as they can be a lot harder to look after.

As far as local breeders are concerned I would consider myself one. I prefer to wait until somebody on the forum asks though, rather than me saying I got this and that, as it could be unfair on sponsers.

The ADA can be a good place to start but always treat it as a case by case basis. ADA membership isn't always a giant rubber stamp of approval.

Proteus
Sat Nov 06, 2004, 12:14 AM
discussushi, I guess one thing we cant get from local breeders is the variety... yes there is a lot available, but not everything :(

One thing we are currently working on (yet another project) is a Directory based website where ANYONE can advertise what they have, Breeders, Importers, Stores... EVERYTHING...

We are almost finished testing it...

feel free to have a look (Breeders Register)

http://directory.aquadotnetwork.com/

PLEASE NOTE: this is only for testing, so the template is stock standard (& ugly). Once we are happy with all the features, which are all functioning 100% so far we will load it up at www.AquaStoreDirectory.com and let it do its thing...

The best thing is it will be totally free for Basic listings, and if you want to go all out and have all options available, then it is only a couple of dollars per year.

:wink:

(ok, plug over)