PDA

View Full Version : Lights- how important are they??????

jim from sydney
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hi All
for a long time now i have been wanting to investigate the REAL importance of lights for discus breeding.
in real life in the amazon, i guess there is a lot of natural light from strong to subdued below trees and branches and the like.
in an artificial set up, like our tanks i wonder how important light is.
we talk a lot about water quality but little about light.
the Q is of course....does the amount of light and the energy of given light sources play a role (and if yes, how much) in the breeding of our precious friends.
some breeders say discus should be exposed to direct sunlight for 1 hour a day or so. i have tried this but mine find that disturbing and want to hide......besides they will not get the benefit as the sun rays are effected by glass, not so in their natural habitat.

So i like to open this discussion up by asking every-one to tell me their experiences. I myself am running cheap home made lights and am interested in what every is doing to compare success rates in breeding.

Good lights are not cheap....so is our money better spend on good quality fish or lights ....or both?????

should be a great topic.....thanks....Jim

goldenpigeon
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:04 AM
well in my experience.... lights are not of much use in breeding. the parent (i have found) dont keep the bubs as well when the tank is fairly bright or well lit.

i think it is important to have dull light when breeding the discus. just so you know everything thats going on in the tank. it is nerve racking when you cant see the fish properly!!! IMO lol.

jim
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:11 AM
The discus fram photos that took by Kev...i don't see any lights on the top of the tank..

example. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4489

I think the softness and low PH of water is they key to breed discus...

I think it's also import not to disturb them..they won't give u any babies if they are stress...

In my tank..my pair normally lay eggs rite after I do water change...

Good luck...

Crocky
Wed Mar 15, 2006, 11:38 PM
I have found that lights are not that important for my breeding pairs.With water i think softness is important but dont have the ph to low as find the eggs hatch better low but you will have problem with wrigglers attached.this only what i have notice with my pairs.

brad

jim from sydney
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:17 AM
With water i think softness is important but dont have the ph to low as find the eggs hatch better low but you will have problem with wrigglers attached.this only what i have notice with my pairs.

brad

Brad......thanks for that...so what are your readings for pH, before the egg laying stage and at wriggler stage.......and what are your softness readings....
PS Margo thinks you are the expert....LOL

Crocky
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:29 AM
Jim

To be honest I haven't checked it in 6 to 8 month because my fish keep spawning so I don't bother.
But every time I have checked my tanks range between 6.8 to 7.2 but mostly 7 my gh is only one to two drop 34 or something ,kh 2 to 4 drops.
I'm no expert far from it just having a good run at the moment.

Brad

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:44 AM
Ahhhh Brad, don't be so modest. You are doing more than just having a good run :D

Your excellent water changing routine and careful feeding have a lot to do with your success.

Well done Brad, you're doing a great job with your fish, and your dedication is paying off. :P

jim from sydney
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 01:21 AM
Jim

To be honest I haven't checked it in 6 to 8 month because my fish keep spawning so I don't bother.
But every time I have checked my tanks range between 6.8 to 7.2 but mostly 7 my gh is only one to two drop 34 or something ,kh 2 to 4 drops.
I'm no expert far from it just having a good run at the moment.

Brad

Brad......i think it is that "country air" that does it.......LOL....Jim

Crocky
Mon Mar 20, 2006, 02:41 AM
I think your right jim "country air" and lots of luck but only with my fish as I put in a tatts ticket the other and got nothing LOL.

Brad