PDA

View Full Version : killing snails

Bad Inferno
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
OK I have a gazillion cone shapped snails in my tank ranging from tiny to 8-10mm.

Can I put something into the tank, ie vegtable, let all the snails climb on and then take it out ?

I don't want to use any chemicals ?

marg
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
There is a product called "Snail Rid", but I don't know who manufactures it.

Try your LFS.

Regards,

Marg.

nicholas76
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:12 AM
Bad inferno,

refer to this link.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4103&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=snails&&start=20

I was like you but trust me if you use it properly you should have no issues. I have used it on my discus tanks and no problems.

The effects will take hold pretty quickly within a few hours. Dead snails everwhere.. I treated it twice and problem solved.

cheers

nicholas76
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:15 AM
ooh

if your still not happy to use chemicals

clown loach will do the job.

but remember it will eat your discus eggs too! ( thats if or when you get some )

Bad Inferno
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:22 AM
thanks nic & marg...I may just try the manual method and a slice of cucumber first off and a suck off the surface of my substrate.

nicholas76
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:53 PM
Not a problem :)

but keep this in mind. It wont be very effective becuase;

1. You will attract 5 % of snails to the cucumber or whatever you use.
2. You dont see the eggs and baby snails, only the large ones
3. You need to break the breeding cycle. - this wont happen ( infact your supplying a food source )

If possible Move the fish out and nuke the tank OR simply do a water change say 4-5 hours after it takes hold.

marg
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
That's the product I was thinking of Nick, and you're right, Clown Loaches do a good job. They especially love Mystery Snails (I found out the hard way :cry: ).

Regards,

Marg.

stonedavid
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:46 AM
Clown loaches arent any good on the cone snails, they are really good at eating all other snails except the above. Found out the hard way had an infestation a few years back and introduced clown loaches into the tank. Every other species of snail they ate within a couple of day except for the cone snails. Something about they are too hard for the loaches to get out of the shell. Had to use snail rid in the long run to get rid of them all. Hope this helps.
Rgds Pete