PDA

View Full Version : can i have planted 6ft tank without co2?

discus21
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 11:42 PM
i am in the process of setting up a planted 6ft tank
but i am not confident in the whole process in the co2

so what can i do without the co2
advise needed?

regards

discus21
ps. have always had bare bottom tanks

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 01:05 AM
why dont you try co2 on a smaller tank so you get to know how to use it then put it on your 6ft tank? DIY is always an option?!

i have tried many times to have plants and keep them alive without co2. never works very well. you also need good light and substrate.

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 03:43 AM
I've just heavily planted three tanks, a five, a four and a three foot. None of them have CO2, but I am using fertilizer tablets at the roots of the amazon swords, and a daily dose of Seachem flourish. So far, so good. They've only been planted a couple of weeks, but new growth is showing on all the plants, even the red Tiger Lotus.

I'll keep you updated as the planting matures.

OscarManAlpha
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 04:41 AM
Many many beautiful plants will grow without the need for Co2.

If you want a Dutch style look you very well may need Co2.

Here are some plants I think thrive without Co2.

Java Fern

Java Moss ( saw a 4ft the other day just wood moss and Java fern looked a million bucks ) simple and effective theme.

Hygrophilia and Wisteria ( although they go mad with Co2 )

Some Sword plants including chain swords.

And many a Crypt and Anubia will go great.

Just purchase a little of each you will soon see what works in your tank.

Chuck out the stuff that looks hopeless. One only needs 2,3 or 4 varieties of plants going well and grouped nicely to create an Aqua garden IMO.

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

discus21
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 05:13 AM
thanks
hearing this from you
has given me hope

have prepared subtrate ready (werribee soil)
and iron rich gravel - what ever that means (came with tank)

already have anubus on driftwood
(which i need to graft onto other pieces)
and vallisnera in other tank (awaiting transfer)

keep me updated on progress ladyred

regards
discus21

barramundi
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

I have just started on my 5x2x2 just put the subtrate in and some drift wood.

Hey it would be good if we can do an update on each tank(with pics) to see how we are going, or not so well and what the final outcome is on each tank.

john

anti-generic
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
discus21,
please bare in mind the co2, ferts and lights relatikonship to plant growth and algea control.

if you lack one, please be sure not to over do the others. or else you will growing more algea than plants.

the general rule for most planted tanks might be 3watts per gallon with co2 induction.

but this only applies to smaller tanks.
a large tank 180gallon 6x2x2
does not need that much light.
amano has well grown scapes with no Co2
less than 1.5watts per gallon
and dosing less than 10ppm KNO3 everyday

Regards,
Eric

OscarManAlpha
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is as these tanks are new set-ups, you guy's may well be using brand new lights and tubes. As the lights age there intensity also reduces.

That said as they are new set-ups and the plants are not established the extra strong lighting could produce unwanted algae.

My thoughts are for you guy's to add heaps of the fast growing plants
( hygro wisteria ambulia ) and I may be ostrisized for this maybe even some duck weed to soak up some of the extra light.

apalsson
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:40 PM
You don't need CO2 to grow plants in any sized tank....

The three factors of plant growth, light, nutricients (fertiliser) and CO2 need to be in balance to get maximum growth. If this ratio goes out, you tend to experience problems such as algae etc etc.

What this means is that if you input high levels of light without fertilising properly, algae takes over. If you fertilise without sufficient light for your plants to take advantage of the increased levels of nutricients, the fertiliser cannot be absorbed, often leading to algae problems.

Injecting CO2 into a tank that has less than 2wpg of lighting does very little to stimulate plant growth because there is insufficient light for the plants to take up the CO2.

In a 6 x 2 x 2 tank (750L), a good level of lighting is probably 500W or a typical 3 x 150W Mh plus what ever fluoro that often comes together with the halides. This will give you just under 2.5W per gallon. In smaller tanks, you often aim for 3wpg or even 4wpg.

Be aware though that the higher the lighting, the higher the requirements for a regular fertilising routine.

Low light tanks (less than 2wpg) are often set up with beautiful plants but low light varieties only. These tanks tend to need less maintenance and less in terms of fertilisation.

A very good planted (high light) setup would therefore be:
6 x 2 x 2 tank
3 x 150W MH light plus the common 100w or so of fluoro
CO2
daily routine of fertilisers

This is quite an expensive setup but should give you excellent results.

Hope this helps