PDA

View Full Version : Trickle filter Vs Sump filter which is better?

chrissyoscar
Fri Jul 09, 2004, 10:59 PM
I'm going to get a 4x2x2 tank and want to get it with either a built in trickle filter or a sump filter.
I've heard both forms of filters are good but I'm not sure which is better and what are the pro and cons of both.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
the tank is going to be used as either a grow out tank for discus or for young fry.

Thanks.. Oscar

flukes
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:05 AM
Id say a sump, for a few reasons first doesnt take up anytank space, you can overkill on the media as much as you want, there is alot of oxygen for the bacteria too thrive, you can hide it. They are both good but when your taking up tank space i know what id be getting.

chrissyoscar
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks Scott

yeah I was leaning towards sump but just wanted another opinion.
I can get a 4x2x2 with sump, bio balls, pump and hole drilled at back of tank for sump for $550 or a trickle filter with pump and bio ball for $500.
For an extra $50 I think I'll go for sump.
What do you think of the above prices.
A cabinet will set me back another $285 and delivery $35.

Oscar

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:17 AM
i would go with a sump

you can axcess them easier, they can be changed later with little to no problems, maintence is easier, does not use any tank space

seems simple

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
thats a pretty good price but it depends on the size of the unit

do you have any product codes for it?

the amount of bio balls it holds should give you an idea on what size tank it is designed for

chrissyoscar
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 01:05 AM
No I haven't got any product codes and don't know the sump size either. I emailed a LFS asking for a quote and they got back to me with those prices. I'll have to go and look at it. The cabinet will most likely be raw pine but that's okay.
As for the sump that sort of size should it be, something like 24x12x12 or bigger?

Oscar

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 01:37 AM
the size unit will depend on what brand it is

some are longer

some are wider

some are higher

you should expect to see around 420-470 bioball units or around 15 to 17 lts of bio balls

the bigger the particle filter attached the less you will need to clean it, although (with maintence) small will work as well as large.

you should get something similar o this for your cash

chrissyoscar
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 01:52 AM
Nice, if it looks like that I'll be happy.

Thanks.. Oscar

flukes
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 05:10 AM
That mentone prices?

Proteus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 06:13 AM
Def go for a sump, much more flexibility...

all my big tanks have sumps on them, and both my 4ftrs (48 x 19 x 24) have nice juicy units down below... (one is rated for a 180g (6x2x2) and the other, a 3ft sump rated for a 220g (6x2.5x2.5))...

they all have an adjustable spray arm, between 600-900 Bio Balls, the green Eheim filter mesh and a layer of filter wool which gets changed every 2-3 weeks (thats all the maintenance I do, apart from water changes)...

There is room below for secondary media, such as carbon, peat etc...

here are some pics (you can see how big the unit is when not under the tank)...

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/download.php?id=1107

http://www.mollyman.com/forum/download.php?id=1109

HTH

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 07:38 AM
why can't i see your pics proteus?

flukes
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 08:00 AM
your not looking hard enough..

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 08:13 AM
thanks for the heads up flukes

still can't see the pics though?

Proteus
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:34 AM
are you on dial-up???

if so you may need to wait a little bit (they are remotely linked)

or you have your security levels set to a high level...

chrissyoscar
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks Proteus, I'll definitly go for the sump.
Flukes the prices I got were from Aquarium Supermarket in Sunshine. I rang Mentone and they quoted $200 for the tank $350 for the sump with plumbing, bio balls and drilling a hole in the tank and they wanted another $100-120 for the pump making a total of about $650 not including cabinet. They did tell me if I found it cheaper elsewhere then to give them a call back and they'll have a look at beating it. I'm in no rush to get it so for the next few months I'll keep an eye on the classifieds and trading post.
I might even go for a 5x2x2 tank with sump.

Oscar

flukes
Sat Jul 10, 2004, 02:27 PM
Mentone is normally the cheapest and if they arnt they will beat any other quote.
Also they can give you custome tank quotes within 15mins. I love just ringing up and say how much for a 2x3x3 just too know what it would cost. Only once they had to ring me back so they could contact the supplier.

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:52 PM
I'm going with a sump whit the next tank because I see less problems with a sump than with other filtering setups