PDA

View Full Version : Feeding variety

Proteus
Tue Feb 24, 2004, 10:54 PM
What sort of feeding regime do you all give your Discus...

2,3, 4 feedings a day...

Flake? Granule? Frozen? Homemade?

Cory21
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 03:16 AM
I feed my Discus twice a day. In the morning they get frozen blood worms, and in the evening they are given spirulina tablets. I've had a hard time getting them to eat anything else, because the previous owner only gave them bloodworms. It'll take time, but I should be able to slowly ween them onto a more varied diet.

Mattzilla
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 04:09 AM
i feed anywhere between 5 and 10 times a day...though i only feed small amounts of food at a time. i have been told that a lot of asain breeders do this (feed lots of small meal rather than feed few large meals) and get a better growth rate. my discus eat a large variety of food including tetra colour bits in the morning, followed by hikri frozen blood worms, then hikari frozen brine shrimp then my home made b/h mix for the rest of the day. i feed their least favourite foods first. works for me

matt

Annie
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 07:37 AM
I usually feed 3 times a day(and 4 on the weekends). I feed the babies Omega One Flakes in the morning, Lunch time Frozen Bloodworms, Evening feedings before bed can either be Beef Heart, Daphnia (sp) or Brine Shrimp and I give just a tad of Omega One Flakes. I have some Omega One Shrimp Pellets that they also pick at over the weekends.

Essayons89
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:39 AM
I feed mine two to three times a day. They get fed a variety of foods. In no particular order I feed them:

Frozen:
Brine shrimp, including the spirulina enhanced and omega-3 shrimp
Bloodworms
Beefheart
Glassworms
Mysis shrimp
Krill

Flake:
Either Omega One or OSI.

Bryan

Lily
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 02:08 PM
At the crack of dawn I stumble downstairs to get some bloodworms out of the freezer for my beloved. That is their breakfast.

If I cannot be stuffed going downstairs they get a nice generous feed of JBL discus granules instead.

When I get home from work I generally have about 30 minutes til the timer on the lights goes off, and if I get a chance before that happens they get more bloodworms. Or if I can't be stuffed, yadda yadda yadda :)

Sometimes they get frozen BS and live blackworms too.

Fefe
Sat Mar 06, 2004, 07:43 AM
How do you guys feed beef heart?

flukes
Sat Mar 06, 2004, 08:06 AM
refer to other post "my b/h receipe"

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 06, 2004, 10:20 PM
hope that thread helps