PDA

View Full Version : Torqouise discus are losing their stripes

RichVic
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 12:05 PM
Hi gang,
The stripes are fading on some of the torquosie discus and wondered if there's a problem or are they just growing up? Two look like they never had stripes at all, another has a prominent stripe over the eye but the ones on the body are fading fast. The remainder (smallest) are hinting of fading but I can still clearly see the stripes. Anyone else had this happen?

PS. They moved into smaller barebottom tank a few days ago and the water changes have increased (20-25%daily) This is to give them a system boost as they were showing signs of stubborn fungal problems etc.
Any need for concern?
Richard

Daetarek
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:03 PM
this is a good thing, it means they are happy and relaxed when the stripes fade ... when they show up strong they are stressed ... well thats as far as i know :)

RichVic
Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks,
I did read something, somewhere about "juvenille stress bars" a while ago, but did not relate this to my fish at all, Mine had the stripes when I bought them and I thought them rather attractive ? The seller told me they were juvenilles and that the colour was still developing. Some photo's of wild caught discus I saw had the stripes so I didn't expect them to completely disappear like this. I am unhappy to think my discus were stressed in the shop and also so stressed for the past 2 weeks living with us!! I dont mind the stripes going, yours looks fabulous and I think that mine will probably look similar.

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 11, 2006, 03:40 AM
Don't be too concerned about those bars. Apart from showing those bars as juveniles, it depends on the breeding if they show the bars or not.

I have a beautiful big male turquoise who constantly shows bars and he is a big beautiful healthy fish in his prime. One of his grandparents was a wild heckel, and they show prominent bars all the time, so he has inherited the dark bars.

If your fish have now lost their bars, it simply means they're growing up or have gone lighter to blend in with the lighter bottom of the new tank.

All perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.