PDA

View Full Version : Black Hair Algae

Ringo
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:24 PM
Hi, I have a 90 gallon tank that is starting to get some black hair algae. I was wondering how to get rid of it.

Info:
Ph 6.5 with use of CO2 (pressurized)
Temp. 86F
PHO3 0.25ppm
Nitrate 5-6ppm
Ammonia and Nitrate 0ppm
Tank has been setup for 3 months
Ecocomplete substrate
EcoSystem Filter
265 watts of light on from 11am-7:30pm

Thanks for any help

Proteus
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:32 PM
Siamensis (Siamese Flying Fox)

:wink:

duck
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:31 PM
What are you using to dissolve the CO2 into the water,May not be working 100%.
BBA is CO2 related

Ringo
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:43 PM
I am using a regulator on a pressurized cylinder that is controlled through a pH monitor. My water is usaully around pH 7, I use the co2 system to bring it down to 6.5 plus the obvious benefits to the plants. Does anyone know who sells SAE's? I heard that they will eat it and are a real benefit to a planted aquarium.

Thanks

duck
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 11:51 PM
How do get the CO2 into your tank,Do use a diffussor or a reator?
Where about's are you located would help, someone in the area can help you.

DarrenJThomas
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 01:59 AM
Are you using a daily fertiliser?

I have pressurised CO2 and found that when it was new i got algae. It is difficult to get the right chemical balance and required slight changes along the journey to get it right.

Once i got it right my automatic dosing machine clogged up and guess what, no daily fertiliser and the algae returned.

Let us know if you are using a daily fertilsier.

Ringo
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:26 AM
I am using a reactor for the CO2. I use a daily fertalizer, called PMDD. It contains all the macro and micro nutriuents needed. I am located in Chicago,IL.

Thanks

DarrenJThomas
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 03:30 AM
What chemicals are in your PMDD? Is it per the colin and searls web paper?

How much are you dosing and are you trying to achieve the iron concentration as mentioned in their paper?

Ringo
Fri Mar 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
I purchased the PMDD from Greg Watson's web site. It contains all the macro and micro nutrients needed. My goal is to provided everything needed and also keep my phosphates and nitrates in a proper ratio. I had a bad case of BGA and most of that was caused from an improper balance. Since using the product everything was going great until this black hair algae.

apalsson
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 08:44 PM
You didn't mention your gH and kH.
The kH / Ph ratio tells you the levels of saturated CO2 in your tank. It looks to me like it may be a touch low.

Double dosing of Excel will kill the Black Hair Algae in 2 weeks or so. There are several articles on it on the net.