PDA

View Full Version : Drop in Temp... now sick Discus

NDown1
Tue Mar 07, 2006, 10:37 PM
Hey all...

My 2 Turq were doing great, until the heater broke, and the temp dropped from 86 to 80 overnight ... its back to 86 now

About a week later they are not looking to great.. not eating to much and really lazy ... no visual signs of worms/ hex as of yet

I've moved them to a 20gal hospital tank... 86deg, PH 7, no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites.

I've dosed 250mg of Metro in my 20gal tank

I will post pictures on Wed if possible

Is this the appropriate course of action for a temperature shock like this... seems like they caught a cold of some sorts..

Thanks for your input... pics soon

Nick

DarrenJThomas
Tue Mar 07, 2006, 11:30 PM
I would stop with all the paraphernalia.

Have a look at the stress on your fish.

1. A drop in temperature
2. Re heating to normal temperature
3. Move to hospital tank
4. Dose of Metro

All with no other signs other than being a little off the food.

I went away over a weekend and the friday after i left my fuses went on the house, no power no heater. I didnt get back unitl sunday. The tank experianced a large drop in temperature (about 20 degrees it was running at for most of the period). I slowly increased the temperature and monitored the fish.

Once the tank had regained temperature all was fine and no loss of fish. Sure they were a little shy at first but the soon were back to normal.

I would just put them back in their tank and monitor them (providing they dont show signs of illness now).

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 12, 2006, 02:33 AM
How are your fish looking now Nick. Have they shown an improvement?

NDown1
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
Hi..

well, I left them in the hospital tank for the week, and did a 50% w/c to dilute the Metro... and also kept it dark the entire time

On Sunday both were looking back to normal... started eating and chasing each other around .. decent colour

I cleaned out the main tank very well and did a 75% water change

They seem back to there old selves at the moment... it's only been 1 day however

They are looking a bit skinny in the gut.. so I'll have to feed them quite often over the next little while to get their body mass back up

I'm feeling better now that they are showing colours, eating, and back to their territorial ways

Thanks for all your help!

PS. I added another heater to the tank on the opposite side, just in case... can't go wrong with a little extra heat!!

The tank is currently sitting at 84deg... with plans to raise to 86 over the next couple weeks or so..