PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Questions

Daetarek
Sat Mar 04, 2006, 03:06 AM
Hi All,

when i put in the frozen fish dinner for my discus, they won't even go near it for at least 10 minutes ... is this bad ? what can i do to help them, i loathe the idea of having the food in the tank for that long

ta
Rob

CKT
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 04:34 AM
There are reaons they dont eat thing.
common reason is they are not in good condition.@

u can easily check it from their eyes and body.
Are they black body?
Are their Eyes not clear?
Are their black line appear?

sharn
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:28 AM
discus are very slow eaters and thats why most of the food gets eaten by other fish :( they are grazers so go around for about half an hour after they realise foods about, picking at what they find yum. my babies take about 10 mins without me in the room to start feeding. of course being slow to feed can be caused by bad health, but generally its just their natural slowness :D leaving food in for ten minutes wont foul the water (depending on food), i take any left over food out after half an hour or so.

Daetarek
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 09:49 AM
yeah i think they are just being slow thats all, they are all very happy :)

CKT
Sun Mar 05, 2006, 02:47 PM
There are reaons they dont eat thing.
common reason is they are not in good condition.@

u can easily check it from their eyes and body.
Are they black body?
Are their Eyes not clear?
Are their black line appear?
oh~sorry
wrong post....

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 04:13 AM
Hi All,

when i put in the frozen fish dinner for my discus, they won't even go near it for at least 10 minutes ... is this bad ? what can i do to help them, i loathe the idea of having the food in the tank for that long

ta
Rob

Rob you maybe over feeding them.....try to give them less...or not even feed them for a day or two, discuss can well go upto 2 weeks without food.
A good rule is what they dont eat in 1 hour is waisted. try it....Jim

Daetarek
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 07:46 AM
Thank Jim

they have started to work up an appetite now ... i am not sure maybe they were just settling in

jim from sydney
Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:00 AM
Thank Jim

they have started to work up an appetite now ... i am not sure maybe they were just settling in

Thats good news, if they are only new to your tank, that is almost certain the reason, they need time to get used to their new environment....still dont overfeed....good luck....Jim