PDA

View Full Version : pH Burn or Fin Rot

aprofromindia
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:48 AM
Hi there I just did my 15% water change and add soem potassium to my planted tank for the plants and suddenly saw one of Blue diamond discus had this fin burnt kind of thingy, any help would be appreciated, and what can I do for it grow back its beautiful plummage ?

For more information, the fish is swimming around properly, infact better than before, just sad to see him not in his full glory

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 09:29 AM
Can you tell us a little more about your water parameters. It could be either fin rot or pH burn, as you said, but a reading of pH should help to clear that up.

If it's not due to pH, then we need to decide if it's bacterial or fungal fin rot. Are you able to get a better photo, or perhaps can you describe the finrot fully, like is it white with fuzzy edges, or are there any red streaks in the fin?

aprofromindia
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:02 PM
Thx Ladyred, for your generous advice, yeah the fin has got dark black edges actually, so my best bet would be pH burn, funny thing is this fish used to be bullied until now, but yesterday I think they worked out some kind of truce and is having a good time with the other blue diamond.cheers.

My Ph is 7.2 - (has always been high and never seen any of the amazon garden inhabitants complain (ram , tetra, discus, ottos)),

No2 - 0
No3 - 5 (added pottassium fo rthe plants to sort it out - like the natural way of doing things)

Moreover no increase in the fin burn yet, I guess I'm gonna have to add potassium slowly next time.