PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

lotus23bsr
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:24 PM
My name is Gerry and man am I glad I found this forum :D I am 47 years old and have been keeping fish off and on for the last 30 years or so. I seem to keep an active tank for 2-4 years than get out of it for 2-4 years, I had quite a few tanks when I was in collage and I kept mostly African Cichlids. I have always been interested in Discus but never took the effort to try and keep them. Seems that when I have an active tank and I am visiting the LFS I am always drawn to the Discus with thoughts of "gonna have some of those some day". Well now is the time! Or when a new tank is ready that is. I guess the first thing I should do is buy a book... any recommendations? Not sure if this is the right place to ask but can someone point me to a thread on this forum with a suggested equipment list, size of tank, under gravel filter or not, etc. or maybe I should just start searching the forum tonight when I get home from work :oops: Any how, any advice any one can throw at me I would appreciate. Glad to be a member of this forum.
Thanks,
Gerry

luvfishies
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 05:45 PM
Hi there Gerry and welcome!

First of all, get the largest tank you can afford, as discus do love space. Think on the lines of 10g per fish, and a minimum of 5 discus, as they do better in "shoals".

Don't go with undergravel filter, you're better off with Hang on Back filters, or Canister filters. You will need really good heaters, preferably submersible, like Tronic, Ebo-Jager, or the like, as discus like it warm. 84-86 is usually recommended.

Some people prefer a Bare Bottom tank to grow out their juveniles, as juvenile discus grow the best with lots of food and frequent waterchanges. I personally like a gravel bottom, live plants, and driftwood decor. That's totally up to you.

Anyways, that's the bare bones basics. They are a great fish, and not nearly as skittish as most people think they are! Just keep up with the waterchanges (some people do daily, I do 2 @ weekly of 40%) and they will love you for it!

Proteus
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Gerry and welcome...

luv didnt leave me much to add so I will just say DITTO to the above...

:wink:

lotus23bsr
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Luv and Proteus. Thanks for the quick advice too Luv... 55 gal. will probably be the biggest I can get at this time and I want to have gravel, live plants and drift wood. I like the look of a natural tank, glass bottom just don't look right (no offence to the bare tank folks) but I enjoy looking at the habitat that you can create inside your livingroom!

-Gerry

discman
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 10:55 PM
:D hi mate hope u like it here as we all do
all the best
discman :twisted:

AdelaideAnt
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Hello :)

Good to see some international members

Anthony

flukes