PDA

View Full Version : Siamese algae eaters

glo
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:15 AM
I was wondering whether anyone has kept SAE's with discus. I was thinking of including them to remove some brush / beard algae growing on my plants but am worried that they out compete the discus when it comes to prepared foods and am also worried that their active behaviour may spook the discus.

nicholas76
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 03:27 AM
Yes I have! :D

those Siamese algae eaters although mostly timid do tend to hop about allot. Your discus will mostly ignore them.

Juts ensure your seals are covered as those are "tank jumpers"

glo
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the reply Nick. Do you know if the SAE's will harm bristlenose?

wickedglass
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:25 AM
they shouldn't harm bristlenoses ... Crossocheilus siamensis is a pretty peaceful fish, especially in regards to other species it's like Nick said, quite timid. It's best to keep more than 1, as they like to hang out in little groups, and are in that case less shy ... they can chase each other around a bit, but they don't hurt each other. They're fast as lightning when the mood takes them, but they generally don't disturb the discus. I used to have a group of 11 of them in a big discus tank many years ago, that tank also had bristlenoses, tetras and a pleco in it. They're also sold a lot under the name of Siamese Flying Fox in the shops.

cheers
Chris

nicholas76
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:09 AM
yep spot on wickedglass

a very nice fish to have in a big planted tank, look forward to seeing pictures glo!! best of luck

glo
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'd hate to have bought them and found that they hassle the discus and the bristlenose as I imagine they are not easy to catch / remove, esp in a planted tank.

I'm really only getting them for the purpose of reducing algae growth on the plants. Hope they can do the job!

nicholas76
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 06:57 AM
Glo

heres a few pics in a community tank !

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51207#51207

8-)

Ben
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 08:11 AM
SAE's are nice but i am more fond of the little otto's.
They will eat more types of algae than sae's and are much smaller.

cheers
Ben

Sime76
Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:46 PM
My SAE 's like to nibble on my arm when I've got it in the tank. I tickles!

sharn
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 12:03 AM
CAE and SAE get me confused lol, it must be the CAE that are the agro ones then?

Del
Fri Mar 03, 2006, 01:58 AM
I have 6 in a 150L planted tank with my 6 discus. They are just fine being kept with discus.

They are fun when the mood takes them, hang together, play chasings with each other and keep my tank clear of hair algae beautifully (that's what I got them for...).

Ottos keep the glass clean but don't eat hair algae...

vishy
Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:14 AM
SAE are the 'good' ones although i personally dislike them, just removed all of mine and replaced with ottos. I find they grew way too quick and became slightly agressive when they were larger also strippin my fine leaved plants like micramthemoides and whirly rotala. Your better off getting ottos :D
Matt

jho51e
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'd hate to have bought them and found that they hassle the discus and the bristlenose as I imagine they are not easy to catch / remove, esp in a planted tank.

I'm really only getting them for the purpose of reducing algae growth on the plants. Hope they can do the job!
Hi Glo! Just wondering if you could let me know which LFS you got your SAE from? My locals dont have them, only have Flying Foxes (which are the aggressive ones i think)...

Thanks!

nicholas76
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 03:10 AM
its the same thing mate

jho51e
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 03:33 AM
oh i thought they were different -

Crossocheilus siamensis: Siamese Algae Eater
Epalzeorhynchos kallopterus: Flying Fox

got it from reading this article:
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#sae

nicholas76
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 04:15 AM
i think some pictures may be in order !

brb

OscarManAlpha
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:38 AM
One of the fish in this photo is not a true SAE.....

There is only one kind. One has to do some research or they may get mistaken.

The one in Jhosie's link is correct....

Nick the one's in your link are not SAE's they are Puntius denisoni. They are native to the South Western Coast of India.

Mine don't bother the discus, yet I have heard some do. Rogue individuals of exactely the same species IMHO.

Cheers,

Mark

OscarManAlpha
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:43 AM
Nick the one's in your link are not SAE's they are Puntius denisoni. They are native to the South Western Coast of India.Mark

Oop's actually one of the fish in the linked photo that Nick added is a SAE..

I just saw the denisoni when I first looked at the pic ( drool )

Just PM me Nick and have a go !!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

nicholas76
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:24 AM
gday mark!

sorry about before bud, was in msn but a mate was fixing the pc!

technical issues LOL

glo
Mon May 01, 2006, 12:01 AM
Just an update on my SAE's.

They seem to have reduced the beard algae off the glass but not off the plants. They don't go for it as much as I had hoped. They seem to enjoy flake / algae wafers as well.

The ones in the discus tank don't bother the discus or cardinals etc and are harmless. I did have a rogue one in another tank that nibbled the fins of my angel fish but the same fish doesn't bother my discus (touch wood).

I sourced these fish from Auburn Aquarium. I've also seen them fs at Fish Rocks (Eastwood) and Majestic (Taren Point).

Overall, they seem harmless enough with the discus though I'm a bit disappointed in the amt of beard algae they eat. The ones in my discus tank don't grow as well as the ones in my angel tank - not sure why but the ones the angel tank grew much bigger and fatter. Could be that as the discus tank is planted that there is lower oxygen esp with the higher temp.

jho51e
Mon May 01, 2006, 12:23 AM
thanks Glo, shall check Auburn as it is close to home... might also check out some Ottos as they seem to be the choice over SAEs... :-)