PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave light on for

axl
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 12:39 AM
Hi,
i have a problem with BBA at the moment and i have been told that i should cut my lights down to 6 hours a day instead of 10 hours and this should stop the algea growth. My kno3 and phospahate are in balance and are running co2 with about 3.5 wpg of light and i still have bba. Just wopndering if this will help with controlling bba whats your thoughts
cheers Axl

DarrenJThomas
Sun Feb 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
I would change it to 6 hrs per day.

In trying to get rid of BBA, change one variable at a time. This stage it looks like you time the lights are on. Wait a few weeks keeping water changes and fertilising the same. If no change in BBA keep the lights on for 6 hrs then change something else, like number of water changes.

It is all about finding the right balance for your tank.

duck
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:49 AM
Increase the CO2 will stop the BBA and keep it in check,Slowly increase the CO2,Cutting down the lighting wont really do much to nothing at all.
Becarefull when increasing the CO2 you could kill your fish,I nearly did, lucky the wife was home to save them.

Only the other week i had left the light's on 24 hours for about a week,I had no drama at all in reguard's to algea of any sort.

OscarManAlpha
Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:40 AM
Do you have fast growing bunch plants ? Hygro or Ambulia.

Or only feature plants such as Swords,Lotus,Crypts ?

I find adding fast growing bunch plants helps in the early set up stage.

After a while you can reduce the amount once you find a balance.

Just my 2 cents !!

Cheers,

Mark

Sime76
Wed Mar 01, 2006, 12:35 AM
If you are talking about that short black stuff that grows in tuffts all over the place, I'm pretty sure thats what BBA is then try Seachem Exel. It works a treat! I've used it on my tank at standard dosage and it did the trick. And it will help your plants too even in addition to CO2 injection as this is the actuall purpose of the product rather ridding your tanks of BBA which is a great by product of it.