PDA

View Full Version : The Concept of ADA soils

APW
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 07:28 AM
Firstly, we must understand the revolutionary concept of ADA soils. It is more than a basis to plant plants on, but rather a substrate to increase good bacteria to promote better water quality and thus creating a much better environment for the occupants of the tank as a whole.

To start with, ADA aquasoil is porous and this design allows extremely large surface area for nitrifying bacteria to live in. It's granular shape also leaves space in between for Oxygen to be able to get down deep into the substrate so as not to promote anaerobic bottom layer which can cause the production of sulphur dioxide and encourage the growth of bad disease causing bacteria. ADA soil also has a well noted pH buffering capacity. The soil maintains the pH of the tank around the 6.5-6.8 region. The soils are also rich in infused nutrients and iron.

Powersand is basically a highly enriched bottom layer which already contains all the necessary ingredients to promote the healthy propagation of the correct bacteria. This layer is designed specifically to prolong the lifespan of the substrate base.

It is always adviced that powersand and aquasoil be used in conjunction as test done by the ADA team have proven that used in conjunction, the substrate layer can be maintained in excellent condition for well exceeding 5 years.

In heavily planted tanks (amano style with lots of fine leaved stemmed plants and sensitive delicate plants), gravel siphoning is not an option as we try and keep the substrate layer as stable and untouched as possible to avoid disturbing the roots of plants. With conventional gravel substrates, when the roots of plants that die and various organic matter (such as dead leaves etc etc which will happen with time) accumulate in between the crevices of the gravel, they eventually compact down into a bottom layer that is anaerobic and as this accumulated bad layer grows, it will eventually cause the collapse of the eco-system in the tank, fish will start developing diseases and plants will stop growing and start dying, and the tank will need to start from scratch again. This process will take anywhere from 6months-2years to happen, but when it happens, you will have to empty the tank, remove all the gravel (and boy oh boy does it smell BAD!!!) and start all over again... a back breaking excercise that discourages people from adopting the Nature Aquarium Style.

With ADA soil, because of the profusion of bacterial already living in the soil substrate, most of the decaying matter in the substrate layer is quickly decomposed and is never left to accumulate. Amano himself has maintained tanks with ADA soil in it for well over 10 years without having to empty the tank to clean the substrate layer even re-scapes after re-scapes.

Basically ADA powersand and soil, used correctly is a long term fuss free substrate. U can rescape your tanks time and time again over 5 years, and not have to disturb the bottom level at all!!

We do not recommend mixing aquasoil and gravel together, however you can plan to section off your tanks with rocks or wood in such a way that there are areas where there is the ADA powersand and soil combination and in other areas that have the conventional gravel base. Plan the plant the areas with ADA soil with more plants and harder to grow plants and u can either leave the gravel sections bare or use it to compare the effectiveness of ADA soil as opposed to conventional gravel. The proof will be evident especially if you plant plants that are conventionally thought of as "difficult" plants.

Using ADA, there is no such thing as a difficult to grow plant!

How much is required?

On average a conventional 4ft tank would require 2 x 2L powersand, and approx 2 x 9L bags of Aquasoil as a minimum substrate level. Of course, if we are intent on growing deep rooted plants like the Lotus and sword plants, an additional bag of Aquasoil would be advised.

Generally, we aim or a substrate layer of no less than 2inches for the healthy growth of plants. We also suggest you arrange your substrate level sloping towards the front of the tank.

ml29
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 08:41 AM
This may be a really dumb question but here goes.

Is aquasoil and powersand more like sand (ie clouds water easily when fish swim by) or like gravel?

Regards

Marvin

APW
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 08:49 AM
Power Sand

Power Sand is the base of the Nature Aquarium substrate. Power Sand is composed of porous volcanic stones, to secure proper water circulation, and of organic materials including fertile peat, to provide rich nutrients for aquatic plant roots. Ideal conditions for bacterial activity and development of plant roots are created and maintained for long periods with Power Sand.

AquaSoil

* Completely new substrate made from specially processed natural material from the earth.
* Colloid particles capture dirt floating in the water, without any chemical treatment.
* Gives clarity to the water and creates conditions ideal for healthy growth of aquatic plants.
* Helps to lower the hardness level of the water.
* Helps to bring the pH level of the water down to an ideal level for most of the aquatic plants.
* Composed of granules of size and density ideal for the fast development of healthy plant root systems, rather than conventional substrates such as sand.
* Granules maintain their shape for a long period in water, holding air between them, which is vital for the long time maintenance of a planted aquarium.
* Used with Power Sand stimulates the fast colonization of bacteria in the substrate and creates perfect conditions for plant root systems.
* Most desirable pH level for most aquatic plants(ph 5.5 - 6.5) to develop their root systems.
* Available in 3 types to suit your aquarium layout.

From the information I have at hand, it will not cloud your water or stir easily (i.e. using your example of a fish swimming by)

Mak
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi,

Is there any other alternative as in other substrate that i can use and mix with my existing one?

I don't want to remove what i have in the tank right now (substrate) :(

I love the sound of the ADA aqua soil and sand but due to the fact i have already got standard gravel in the tank i suppose there's something else out there that i can get and mix it in with my gravel.

Regards,

Mak

APW
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:28 AM
Is there any other alternative as in other substrate that i can use and mix with my existing one?

I don't want to remove what i have in the tank right now

There are several options available to you, however most substrates are best incorporated when establishing a tank.

Red Sea Flora Base Substrate (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1490)

Flora Base is patented, scientifically formulated produced from natural volcanic ash-based soil, sintered with other minerals into a soft, porous, granular structure. It contains all of the nutrients required by plants for proper development, guaranteeing ideal (natural) conditions for lasting plant growth.

Its soft, porous, granular structure is easily penetrated by growing roots, positively anchoring plants to the substrate while providing immediate access to all of the nutrients. The porous structure also allows plant nutrients to be released to the surrounding water so that no additional fertilizers need be added for at least 6 months. Flora Base is an excellent filter media when combined with an under-gravel filter.

The unique structure of the Flora Base granule enables it to actively absorb floating substances, removing cloudiness from the aquarium water. Flora Base will also act as a pH buffer, mainaining a stable pH between 6.5 and 7.0, which is ideal for almost all aquatic plants.

Seachem Flourite Fertile Substrate (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=754)

Flourite™ is a specially fracted stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium. Its appearance is best suited to planted aquaria, but may be used in any aquarium environment. Flourite™ is most effective when used alone as an integral substrate bed, but it may be mixed with other gravels. Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary.

Flourite™ is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water. Although pre-washed, it should be rinsed before use to remove residual dust. Dust can also be minimized by filling tank slowly and dispersing water so that the Flourite™ bed is not disturbed. Slight initial cloudiness is normal and will clear rapidly (2–12 hours). This bag is sufficient for about a 5 cm deep bed in a typical 40 L tank. Recommended use is 1 kg for approximately each 200 cm2 of tank bottom at a depth of 5 cm.

JBL AquaBasis Plus (http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=641)

- Contains all essential nutrients such as iron, minerals and trace elements.
- The clay particles act as a nutrient store, binding excess nutrients and releasing as required.
- Does not require mixing with gravel.
- Does not contain nitrates and phosphates which promote the growth of algae.

JBL Aquabasis plus plus contains the full range of vital nutrients as well as iron and trace elements which aquarium plants need for healthy and strong growth. These nutrients are provided in depot form and are fully accessible and available to the root of the plants. JBL AquaBasis plus promotes rapid rooting and results in healthy and strong root development.

There are a few other substrate alternatives which are available, so you can see there is quite some choice out there. (in both application and appearance).

jho51e
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 12:43 PM
How much is required?

On average a conventional 4ft tank would require 2 x 2L powersand, and approx 2 x 9L bags of Aquasoil as a minimum substrate level. Of course, if we are intent on growing deep rooted plants like the Lotus and sword plants, an additional bag of Aquasoil would be advised.

Generally, we aim or a substrate layer of no less than 2inches for the healthy growth of plants. We also suggest you arrange your substrate level sloping towards the front of the tank.

Are you able to advice what is recommended for a 6x2x2 tank? The draft design is have 2 separate islands with white sand separating them like this one:

http://static.flickr.com/39/103772614_041dd8c54b.jpg

It will not be as heavily planted, only planning to use glosso.

thanks!!

Mak
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
Hi APW,

Thank you for the info.

I've decided to start over. I'm going to give away my existing gravel and purchase the ADA aqua soil.

Now with the sand, am i better of getting the Power Sand Special instead of the standard Power Sand?

Regards,

Mak

Proteus
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 08:13 PM
I've decided to start over. I'm going to give away my existing gravel and purchase the ADA aqua soil.

Keep in mind that it is a few weeks before the ADA stuff arrives into the country, at the moment they are reserving stock for people, so as they dont miss out when it gets here.