PDA

View Full Version : All setup, including discus :)

ellwa
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
So after three weeks of cycling, and months of planning, today I made the trip out to SLS for the big purchases.

What can I say, Best aquarium store experience to date. The folks out there were fantastic, explaining things, showing diffrent strains sharing opinions and possibilities.

Ended up with 4 discus, I cant remember, but a yellow melon, a blue turq, a peacock or some such, i think, and blue snakeskin. As well as a Whiptail catfish, and 4 black skirt tetras.

COupled together with an Amano book, a large rock, and frozen as well as pellet food.

Just finished the aclimatisation. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank, but I managed to do the change gradualy, one bag at a time, and without adding any LFS water to the tank.

They are hiding at the moment, but only the night lights are on, and I figure they're just getting their introductions on.

As it is now, there are a few amazon swords, some various strains of anubias, some glosso, and a large green tiger lotus.

Ammonia is 0
nitrites 0.25 ppm
nitrate 20ppm
pH 6.8
temp 29.5

40gallons
eheim 2224 with Fluval surface skimmer, and activated carbon for the cycling clearing up water some
14kg of Flourite, one back of plain, one bag of red.
110W PC lighting
2 green cold cathodes as night lighting.
No CO2 as yet, but the plans are in the pipeline. I want to keep it doing OK, and then I'll add it in a month or so when I pay off this round.
fertilized at this point with only Flourish tabs, need to get some liquid ferts, any advice would be great.

thanx!

ellwa
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
A few more pictures.

I've got a video too, so I'll upload that if I can.

Going to leave them in night-light mode for a while, and then when it goes off tonight the main lights wont come on until mid-morning tomorrow.

enjoy.

sharn
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 08:35 AM
wicked tank!! cant wait to see pics of your new babies!!
id be careful with your bioload as adding all the fish at once might start a wee ammonia spike as everything catches up? also watch the nitrites as you shouldnt really have any in a cycled tank but after three weeks it looks like its going down sweet so probably no hassles there :D cant wait to see pics of your new babies!!

p.s. your tree stump in the back looks awsome!!!

FishLover
Thu Feb 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
I'd watch the PH level since there is a large rock in there. Make sure it does not change your PH

Also, it looks like you are kind of up to the upper limit of the bioload. You want to make sure the filters are working and change water more than once a week.