PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rack Plans.

flukes
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 03:12 AM
Iam wanting too set up a mini rack, for breeding tanks. When iam finished, i would like to have 6 tanks (29gal) run by 2 filters. There will be 2 rows of tanks, 3 each row and each row will be run by a filter.
Ive been thinking about this for a while and the main decision came between that being that all 3 tanks run off the same filter, there is the chance that desease will spread throughout the tanks. I have since decided that if maintaince is maintained and care is taken then is just as much chance of spreading desease then using the same equipment throughout the tanks ie. nets etc.
One thing i havent put into the system yet, is how iam going to do water changes. This is not because i dont have any ideas its more that i havent had time to put them on paper, this will be mainly the filtering of the tanks.

Ok here is a front on view of the stand.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/mini%20rack/Front%20View..GIF

Just some explaination - The timber used will be 90x45mm F7 structual pine, I have used this on my previous 3 teir 4x18x18 stand and with a good layer of paint is nice and strong and easy to work with.

Next, this is a diagram of the overflows and continue too the tank.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/mini%20rack/Over%20flow%20bottom%20shelf.GIF

Ok the PVC pipe used on the over flow should be atleast 20mm so it can fit a pyhon tube in it and allow water too move back up and down the overflow too the sump. Although 20mm+ might not be practical for the whole setup, I can convert it too a smaller size after the actual overflow. The postion of the 'T' pipe is important as this sets the water level in the tank. If the water raises above this level then it will go through the pyhon tube into the overflow and down into the sump. Because both ends of the phyon tube are in the water if there is no water being added too the tank then the phyon will remain, although not pull water and once the water is added again it will once again be taken into the overflow.

And the same for the top row -
http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/mini%20rack/overflow%20top.GIF

Here iam showing what i call the "Foam Tower" that will be connected too the sump. Basically this is the mechanical filtration, it will have a 1-2inch layer of sponge which i can easily remove for cleaning. The rest will have filter wool for any other solids and also some biological filtration. I have added some egg crate too the bottom but this might not be necessary.

This is from the sump toothe bio-filters.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/mini%20rack/Pump%20bio%20filter.GIF

From the sump the water is pumped back up too the top of the rack, there will be 2ft tanks which i call the bio filters. There will be a drip plate at the top to get a even spread over the bio media. Then a nice layer of bioballs and ceramic noodles. I will then put some egg crate at the bottom too stop the media being sucked down the out take or blocking it up. Once the water has passed this it will be taken to each tank. I will put balls valves on each pipe to control the amount of water going into each tank.

The last thing i want to do is too have the outlet for the filter (the one coming from the bio-filter) to be in one corner and push the water to the side of the pyhon so any feces or most will be sucked out and into the over flow.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/mini%20rack/water%20flow.GIF

Still alot of planning too do but this is the basic design.
Any comments would be great..
Thanks
Scott

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 08:03 AM
great idea!

i have had the same sort of ideas but with only 4 tanks.

why don't you use bluk heads/ tank throughs instead of pythons?

I found that pythons could not keep up with my water sytem in a emergencey.

how are you going to do water changes in this system? how far apart are the shelves for axcess.

i love plumbing and drainage as much as i love my fish.

somthing about the smell of priming fuild i think

flukes
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah thar stuff does smell good!! THere is nothing like a completed DIY project. As i said just starting planning so havent decided on water changes postioning yet. Also iam not too confident drilling tanks, well i havent done it so i need to practice first. Also this method of overflow is all that is needed as it cant overflow (dirrr) and it seems alot cleaner. Athough i would rather bulkheads i am yet to try to drill tanks.

Gaps bettween tanks and joins of structure i will use exactly that same as my first stand.

Plans here
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327

Those plans i did in a bit of a rush and measurements say 950mm which is a bit big.....just a bit :oops:

More planning to come.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 06, 2004, 08:30 AM
i got mine cut at the LFS store down the road, he bought one to cut all of his tanks and cut three holes for $20.00. once you see how they do it you'll shudder as to how easy it is.

is not go to the local glass cutter they normally will cut these holes for 15-20 each if that

i could not use your style python mentioned because when i turn on my gate valve it tries to drop 139lts at once, to much for these systems in on go.

pros for pros against

i like to talk about it though!

flukes
Tue Jul 06, 2004, 04:32 PM
Dont get me wrong in my system i would prefer too have bulkhead but yeah iam as yet too learn. But i will try the LFS or glassiers. And after them i might try get some diamond cutters and practice on some old coverglass i have.

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:01 AM
got any further with the rack yet?

i have had the O.K to do the same in my new "BOYS ROOM"

i was thining of incorperating 6 tanks covering an entire wall.

i am after somthing a little more WIFEISH than a rack but thats just asthetics.

the rest of the room will be a fold down king size bed, pool table, bar and gaint sliding doors.

ohhh and a projector covering on of the walls of course.

at the moement it is WAY WAY cheaper to renovate than it is to move so BINGO i got a new fish wall.

flukes
Sun Jul 18, 2004, 10:46 AM
Still working out some plans, when iworked it out i realised that there wouldnt be enough room for the bio tower behind the bottom tanks, still have too do some planning and work out what sized breeding tanks ill use.
Then i have too find someone too make them.
I like too plan for a long time before i put something like this together.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 19, 2004, 07:53 AM
have you seen any plans for a rack inserted into the wall?

i am lloking for ideas

flukes
Mon Jul 19, 2004, 02:44 PM
Ive seen it done, but there was a room behind it which was a laundry and they made the whole wall hold 45 tanks. Then they did all there cleaning from behind. Looked great from the front. But all the hard work was done behind.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:29 AM
show me the link....

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

flukes
Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:30 PM
link?? This was my mates... It was the first time i had seen discus, other than a LFS and i fell in love instantly.
Had a huge collection of great fish and was never intrested in breeding every time he had fry he used to give them away to LFS's because back then he didnt know anyone that wanted them. If i had a tank i would have taken them he had some awesome fish...
He is out of the game now, i have 2 of his tanks in my bedroom that he gave me for nothing!! Most generous guy in the hobby i have ever known.
He even sold some of his greatest fish for $30 when at the time he could have got atleast $120.

kalebjarrod
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 07:32 AM
ahhhhhh.....................

guess it would be pretty hard to show me a link to a thought in your mind.

if anyone does see any pics of racks well presented into a wall i'd love to see photos,

hay why not put the bio tower above the rack and gravity feed from that into the tanks?

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 31, 2004, 02:23 AM
found these picks,

though you might like the concept

happydiscus
Sat Jul 31, 2004, 01:51 PM
drool ;)