PDA

View Full Version : Just setup a planted tank..

Diesel
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:19 PM
Ok..so I setup my planted tank, been established, with fish in it for about a month or so. Everything was nice and green for about that span but recently within the past weeks some plants seem to be losing life, getting a little brown and a type of algae, not sure what kind. Its hair-like, but its brown and stringy. I belive its a type of hair algae but again im not sure.

Now im running an eheim 2017 canister, and a whisper hang-on filter.

I cant afford a c02 system (from what ive heard they cost hundreds?! please correct me if im wrong :) im wondering what can be done to keep everything green. I use a capful of flourish with my water changes and my lights are on for about 11 hours a day.

Ive read that a "blackout" can get rid of certain algae problems?! suggestions on how I can keep this tank looking green and healthy?!

And as far as fish, there are 8 discus, 8 blue ram, 4 bolivion ram, 10 ottos and 2 clown loaches. It is a 72 gallon tank and it has Eco-Complate substrate in it.

Thanks, ill get some pics up too

nicholas76
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:57 AM
Diesal

In regards to Co2 there are cheper options!!! have a quick search and you can find Bens Do It yourself kit! cheap as chips mate!

DarrenJThomas
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:10 AM
To help with you situation i need some more detail

1. What are your water parameters especially phosphate
2. Did you use a substrate fertiliser and if so what type
3. What concentration of iron is in your water column
4. How often do you conduct water changes
5. What type of lighting do you have
6. How many plants are part of the system

With the equipment you have you should be able to establish a beutiful green underwater garden.

You can also add DIY Co2 relatively inexpensively.

Let me know the above and we will work through the possibilities.

Darren

anti-generic
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
doing flourish is not enough for complete plant norishment.
flourish is baiscally the trace elements
you need to does Potassium and Nitrate.
usually in the form of dissolved potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate.
the amount depends on the amount of light.
and it is not absolutly nessessary have co2 injection for a healthy planted tank.

regards
eric

also what lights are you using? and how many?

Diesel
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:37 PM
well..ill have to get my testing supplies back (lent them to father) to get the exacts of how the water is. All I can tell u right now is temp and PH.

As far as the substrate fertilizer, it actually came with the plants, I do believe this is it
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/pr1330.html

The bulbs are 2 48 inch Coralife Nutri Grow Plant Lamps. That are on for about 10-11 hours a day.

Water changes are done twice a week, about 25-30% each time.

There are about 16 plants total in the tank.

If you can bare with me because im new to most of this with the live plants...so if I dont understand some things you mentioning just give me a lil bit :)

thanks alot for your help

anti-generic
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:34 AM
Diesel,
can you tell me how many watts are each light?

you would need about 1.5 watts to the gallon of water..

Say for example your tank is 72 gal you'll need a minimum of 100watts of light..

with that set up you can dose your tank with 1/4 of a teaspoon of Potassium nitrate and 1/4 of a teaspoon of potassium sulfate a day. mixed with a cup of warm tank water and stired until dissolved.

along with your dosing of seachem flourish you'll soon see a increase in plant growth and slowly dissappearing algea.

AND no need for CO2

Regards,
Eric

Diesel
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:59 AM
ive heard mixed reviews about using the "crystal" or however you wanna put it forms that disolve in water. Can they be harmful to the tank at all?

I believe these lights I have are 40 watts each, but I could be mistaken ill double check.

Is it possible to OVERTREAT your water during water changes?! I already use about 3 differant "medicines" if you will in the water to adjust PH, fix the tap, and the flourish

thanks!

im using 2 of these
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4505&N=2004+113350

In the tank, would it be a good idea to possibly get better lighting?! Is it even worth it for the extra money it would cost me?

anti-generic
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:25 AM
diesel,
for the health and safety of your fish and plants..
stop using your ph buffer!!
you don't need to articifially alter the ph.

just make sure the water going in to the tank is clean and clear of chloromines (however you spell it)

and if you use seachem prime, u cannot over treat your water.

as for the potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate power/chrystal, it cannot be overdosed!! too much nitrate will kill your fish and too much potassium will cause algea bloom..

just stick to 1/4 of a teaspoon per day

Regards,
Eric

Diesel
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:50 AM
I actually HAVE to use ph buffer. I live in the USA (New Jersey)and the water here is absoloutly terrible, im talking 8.2 PH from the tap. No way my discus will remain healthy living in that water. So I really have no choice, Im not lucky enough to have water like you guys do over there :)

When I was stating about the overtreating of the water. I wasnt sure because doing that much everyday just seems a bit much imo. Reading it made me second guess what ive heard about using those kinds of additives. I wasnt saying i was GOING to overtreat, I was asking what harm can come in case OF overtreatment, and you definatly answered my question :)

anti-generic
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 06:20 AM
Diesel,
Discus prefer clean stable water than anything else.. And you'll be surpirsed how well they can adapt.

I'm worried that with your buffers, either will send the ph peaking too high or too low which can kill you beloved fish.

My suggestion is to lower the ph naturally by storing it in a bucket/ barrel before use, aerating it and maybe try placing a bag of cleaned peat in there. This will lower the ph naturally without chances of peaking.

But i know many ppl who keep very healthy fish with water delivered straight from the tap. Regardless of ph.

Regards,
Eric

DarrenJThomas
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 06:50 AM
If you water is not of good quality have you considered using a RO filtration system?

Diesel
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 06:19 PM
I actually do age the water a bit, before doing water changes I have a 40 gallon drum I put the water in, I treat it in this water along with a small sponge filter to keep the water airating, and a heater. I let it sit for a few hours checking to make sure the temp and PH is where I want it to be before it goes in the water.

I keep peat in a bag in my Eherim canister, so my water is cycled through peat as well.

As far as an RO system, im currently in the process of setting one up because im going to be opening
more tank in a spare room I have due to my attempt to breed my discus, and blue ram (have tons of blue ram eggs every week)

But ive had no problems with my water spiking or anything, I just pay close attention to it, im just worried about putting TO MUCH additives into my water.

discus21
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 01:58 AM
[quote]In regards to Co2 there are cheper options!!! have a quick search and you can find Bens Do It yourself kit! cheap as chips mate[/quote
searched forum cannot find this
please refresh this topic

regards
discus21

nicholas76
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 02:23 AM
Discus 21,

Ill attempt to find you that link shortly.

Ben basically runs this type of system

refer to the item top of page

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category58_1.htm