PDA

View Full Version : what to do?????

RJ_Archer
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
ok, would it be ok if i had 2breeding pairs of discus in a 4x15x18...please let me know what u's think

marg
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
Yes fine RJ Archer, but put a divider between the pairs, otherwise they will be inclined to "Argue".,

Regards,

Marg.

RJ_Archer
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
whats best a glass or plastic diverder

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
A glass divider is probably the best. That way you vitrually have two complete aquariums. Both sides will need to be filtered, but a simple sponge filter is usually all that's needed in breeding tanks, due to the number of water changes (usually daily if you want to induce a pair to spawn).

Plastic dividers are excellent, because you only need one filter, and one heater. The drawback is that the fry can pass through the holes in the plastic divider, and run the risk of being eaten by the other pair.

RJ_Archer
Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:15 PM
ok where can i get a 15x18" glass divder or would perspex be ok?...and for the water changes im thinking of syponing the bottom of the tanks 2wice a day.....

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:41 AM
Have a look in the Yellow Pages for "Glaziers" or "Perspex supplies" both of them will cut to your requested size.

Just a tip, make sure you give them the INSIDE measurement of your tank, and allow a little clearance for fixing the glass or perspex to the inside of the tank walls.

RJ_Archer
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
i have a nice 6mm piece of perspex at home and iv marked it out to fit perfectly...