PDA

View Full Version : glass size problems

DiscusMad
Sun Feb 12, 2006, 09:51 AM
I had bought a second hand tank with both ends cracked. I took the mesurments to the millimeter and went to an aquarium shop gave the mesurments but when I got home the side were out by 2mm than what i mesured it at! :evil:

Is there any way i can take off the 2mm by hadn would sand paper work?

please help

jim
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:00 AM
why don't you bring it back to LFS to fix??
they have to fix it for you for free...(unless your mesurment is wrong)

Xtreme
Mon Feb 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
Just out of curiosity what thickness is the glass, 6mm or 10mm?

Best bet is to cut new ones.

Try and take 2mm off 10mm lol

You could try buff it down 2mm or just take it to a glazier near you.

Oh just a quick tip too, if you are repairing yourself it will be much easier to take the front panel off (if you already havent)

Cheers Wayne

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the tip Wayne :P

piranha-discus
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 09:58 AM
hi there
i had made some tanks and stump filter on my own.
as far i know u can take 2 mm off the glass, i used sand paper,
it work, but im telling u it takes an awful long amount of time to sand 2mm off the glass. it takes some time like half a day or a full day, depends on glass size. I put the sand paper on a flat wood and sand the glass from that to get a flat surface, but becarefull the glass can break!!
,,,, ben

DiscusMad
Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:03 PM
thanks everybody i will try taking the front off the tank and see what happens

chrissyoscar
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
Take the glass back and ask them to replace it. If you try and fix it yourself you'll spend all day doing it as Ben said and if you get it wrong then you are stuck with it.
Also never go to an aquarium shop for glass. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for it (well some will).
It's much better to go to a glazier as it's a lot cheaper.

PS- when you do ask for trade price.

wickedglass
Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:17 PM
if they screwed up, let them fix it ... if it's you who screwed up the measurements, there's a few options, some already mentioned above.
take it to a glazier, they can grins it down for you
do it with wet and dry carborundum paper and sand it off wet
get a diamond grinding pad from somewhere like The Diamond Plating Co here in melbourne (they're not cheap)
anything like an anglegrinder with a diamond wheel/tile cutting wheel i would stay away from, as glass should be cut/ground/sanded wet (and you certainly wouldn't want water getting in one of those, unless they're pneumatic and designed for water use), as all those activities release glass dust which isn't particularly healthy to breathe in ... also cutting and grinding produce heat, which is detrimental to the glass in the long run, especially sheet glass, as it's never annealed 100% due to the processes they use at the plant.
lead lighting places also sell benchtop grinding machines which take various attachments, if you're thinking of making more tanks in the long run something like that could work out worthwhile.

ultimately, though, if it's a one-off thing, use wet'n'dry wrapped around a wood block and a bit of elbow grease and lots of water.

i'm a glass artist by trade, so if you have any questions about glass, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

cheers
Chris

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:18 AM
Welcome to the forum Chris, and thanks for the glass tips. I'm sure lots of members will benefit from your knowledge. :P

DiscusMad
Fri Feb 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
thanks again guys for your advice the 2 pices of glass only cost me $12 all up anyway