PDA

View Full Version : W/C method

discus_maniac
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 04:09 AM
This is the method i use to change my tank water...
Running the hose direct from the tank to the water tap.
Is there any another way to do it...i mean we need to age the water right...or add chemical before putting the water into the tank correct???

So would somone input some info the easier and safest way to change water my my tank???

Cheers :)

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 05:56 AM
Depends what state you are in, and what the water is like straight from your tap.

If you live in Melbourne, you can probably get away with it. Melbourne water is soft and almost neutral. Needs no alteration for a discus tank. Some of the other states are experiencing problems with water at the moment, and you definately need to treat and age the water before putting it in the tank.

The simplest thing is to get a water barrel to age and heat your water for 24 hours before using it in your tank. Any necessary treatment can be carried out in the barrel.

HTH

discus_maniac
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 06:03 AM
I am located in Melbourne Western side.
As of this moment i am aging the water for tomorrow use.
Should i invest in a submerible pumps, i am using a round tall bucket to age the water, i just need to find a way to get the water up into the tank, NO WAY i can lift it up to pour in into the tank.
So i was thinking of getting a submerible pumps.

Cheers :)

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 06:24 AM
Definately a pump is the way to go. Pumps have a certain 'head height' which means they are efficient at pumping water to a certain height, and no more, so you need to measure the height from the bottom of the ageing bucket to the top of your tank.

When you go to the aquarium shop to buy your pump, tell them you need to pump water to that 'head height' and they will recommend the right pump for you.

jim from sydney
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 09:43 AM
to add to LR comments.........look at our sponsers' websites for great prices, you can also ring them they are all very helpful.

FishLover
Sat Feb 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Just add one or two feet extra for the head height to whatever you measured. That way you will not have any problems.

I use a container to hold about 40 gallons of water, air it, treate it with peat for about 6 hours before pumping it up in the tank. You also need to make sure the temperture is about the same as the water tank. Use a heater if you have to. Otherwise, your Discus will get ick a lot. Water temp change is one of the major reasons for ick attack.