PDA

View Full Version : Should I send Mr White Poo to heaven ~

rupes88
Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:08 PM
In my never ending battle to cur my fish of hex, I have just completed another metro course. This is the second course of metro I have run over the month. The first was for 3 days this last one has been for 6.

Over the last 3.5 days I was doing the standard treatment (250mg per 40L) with the first 2.5 days at the 400mg x 40 l dose. At the same time I was giving them metro in their food.

I would of kept up the 400mg course except I could only get my hands on a limited amount of metro. You see I had to use a lot of tablets for my 215l tank as I don't have a hospital set up.

I have finished all my metro now bar one tablet that I'm still using to add to their food.

Out of my five D's four are back to normal, have colour, are eating and are showing no signs of white poos. However one little bugger has no much colour at all and is still Mr white poo extreme. He is very skinny now, will he infect the others again ?

Is there a point where a D just wont shake Hex ? and it is it therefore best for the rest of the tank that I send Mr White Poo to Discus heaven ? Sorry if that sound extreme I just don't want all the others to get infected again.

I only got my D's in the first week of Jan and have spent most of my first month with them doing endless w/c and never getting to see them as I have had them in the dark due to the metro. I read everybody else's posts about healthy beautiful fish with envy ~ I want the discus fun to start !!

Your desperately

rupes

:cry:

marg
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:45 AM
Rupes you say that you don't have a Hospital Tank - Are you in Australia? because if you are you can get small tanks relatively cheap from places like Clints at a pretty reasonable price - and they are ideal for a Hospital tank - them you just need a small air pump and a box Filter and you are ready for any illnesses - or for Quarantining new Fish. I wouldn't be without mine!!.

Most Vets are pretty helpful if you go and see them and explain what you need the Metro for - there is a Section on Fish Friendly Vets in the Forum - just type "Fish Friendly Vets" into your quick search (top LHS) and you may possibly find one in you area. I printed out part of the Section on Metro that was on the Forum (in illnesses and diseases - once again, type in Metro into your quick search) and took it to our Local Vet and she was only too happy to help me when I had problems.

Don't give up on your little feller yet - remember, where there's Life, there's hope :D :D .

Hope this helps,

Marg.

fishgeek
Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
white poo, is due to increased mucous production in the lower bowel

this can be due to protozoa , as you have assumed
it can also be due to other intestinal parasites

a faecal sample will help differeniate between intestinal parasites and then you will know whether you have a fish getting the right treatment that is not responding or a fish with another problem recieving inappropriate treatment

protozoa are not hard to shift in theory
sometimes increasing the temperature to 33 celsius will help

andew