PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Clear filter?

Oscar84
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 06:35 PM
Hey all, Ive been keeping and breeding africans and south americans for about 5 years now and recently decided that I wanted to give discus a try. I have a 65 gallon tank setup that is 48x18x18. Does this seem to be a good size for the discus and I heard about 1 discus/10 gal? My real question is that I also heard that discus are really sensitive to current. I have an aquaclear 110 on the 65gal because i am always about good circulation and filtration. Do you think that the current from the filter may be to strong and affect the discus and stress them out? Thx!!!

mistakes r crucial
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hi Oscar,

The 10g per discus refers to adult fish so if you intend on buying little ones to grow them out you can have far more than 6 for your 65g tank. Just bear in mind that they do grow quickly so you will need more tank space for them within 6 months or so.

I don't think your cannister filter will upset them at all but if you are concerned just put a rain bar on it.

You do realise that if you buy Discus there is no going back, they're totally addictive!! Beware!
MAC

kalebjarrod
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 09:00 PM
The aquaclear is perfect

i run them on my breeding setup

works a treat, i use a aqua clear 50 on a 2 x 18 x 18 in conjunction with a sponge filter for extra air

Oscar84
Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:57 AM
Thx guys for the responses! Yea im looking foreward to getting some discus...Im hoping down the road as i get better with them that I can eventually get a breeding pair in a separate tank. I do plan on getting babies so I guess I can get more because I have a Buddy that sells them at his LFS he owns so im sure I can find them a good home if need be...otherwise I have my 145 out in the living room! lol...but that has my southamericans in there and I love them to death! Thx for the help guys!!! :D