PDA

View Full Version : Tested Result...Can someone help me to analyst it

discus_maniac
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

I just did 30% water change yesterday and this morning just did a complete test and here are the results...
Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrate = 10
Nitrite = 0
PH = 6

Is there something wrong can someone pls advise me what to do??
Half my Discus is hiding in the driftwood now, it wasn't like that before :(

Thanks

G-1000
Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:54 PM
Well you have a reading of ammonia which shouldnt be happening, but you also have nitrates so your tank has cycled previously.

What routine do you follow when you change water? Do you add dechlorinator straight to tap water or do you age it for 48 hours ?

Also do you use Prime because that can give ammonia readings too...

G

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 04:31 AM
You may also have some ammonia coming from your tap water. Have you tested the water straight out of your tap.

Pour a glass of tap water, and then let it stand for 2 hours. Then do your tests.

Any ammonia reading will affect your fish. If you have ammonia coming from the tap, then you need to use a product like Prime to bind up the ammonia and neutralize it.

If there is no ammonia in your tap water, then you may have a dead fish or dead snail, or some rotting food causing the high ammonia reading.

Giving your tank a thorough gravel vac and cleaning under any driftwood or ornaments should solve the problem.

electric molecular
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hi Discus Maniac,

You could try raising your pH to about 6.8 or 7, by putting in some pH plus, or using some kh buffer. I find that the bacterial cultures are more active (=no ammonia) at this pH.

I think that we tend to overreact when we get slight ammonia readings. A bit of ammonia, while not desirable, shouldn't be too detrimental to your discus, as long as you get the water params back under control.

Good luck,

Claire.

discus_maniac
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 07:46 AM
For some reasons.... 2 of my white bristlenose is DEAD :(
I just did a water change yesterday, because my wife said the Discus is acting funny, so i decided to do the 20-30% water change.

So yeah i don't know what i have done wrong during the W/C, still upset after having it for only 1 month ! :cry:

What is the best way to do W/C ???
Should i age the water for at least 48 hours and test for ammonia before putting it in???
During W/C what is the best method to eliminate stress to my fish ( i noticed everytime i did W/C, all my fish just hide under the driftwood.

Not happy discus_manian :cry:

sharn
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:36 AM
letting you water age overnight in a bin/bucket etc with a airstone and heater in is the easiest way.

i either siphon the water back into the tank or pour the water over my hand

sorry i couldnt be of help on any of your other probs!

discus_maniac
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:56 PM
letting you water age overnight in a bin/bucket etc with a airstone and heater in is the easiest way.

i either siphon the water back into the tank or pour the water over my hand

sorry i couldnt be of help on any of your other probs!

Letting the water age overnight in a bucket is a great idea...but how do you siphone the water back into the tank?

I got the hose but don't want to use my mouth to suck it, apart from that in order for the water to flow back into the tank from the bucket, the bucket need to be higher then the tank water right????

Cheers :)

jim from sydney
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:26 AM
if you buy a submersible pump (plenty available from our sponsers) and pump it back into your aquarium. it is easy and clean that way ...dont use your hands or mouth.

Trebs
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 02:00 AM
Where are you located?

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your bristlenose. Did you happen to test your tap water for ammonia, and was there a reading.

It might help if you can post a few more details about your tank, like, how long it has been set up, how big, how many and what types of fish etc.

It might help us to understand if there is something wrong.