PDA

View Full Version : Nambulas - What do people think of this new strain.

flukes
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 01:38 PM
Not sure if it can be called a new strain yet as i dont know if it breeds true but just wanted other peoples opions on this fish.

Personlly i dont like it, i think discus have a greater potenial for more intresting and colors and patterns.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/attachments/Picture1_750.jpg

DiscusMad
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 01:44 PM
I'm with flukes but I have seen these before on a U.S web site

Proteus
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 02:23 PM
I personally prefer consistent patterning or markings...

they look a bit.... ummmm, not right...

kevkoi
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 10:47 PM
:lol: ... and we have 5 of these fish at SLS atm. :D JUST for something different.

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 04:33 AM
i don't think they look too bad actually. i have heard them been called calicos before.

some of them look great but some look shit.... you get this with such drastic crosses i guess.

sunshinediscus
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 05:00 AM
I like them.

flukes
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:30 AM
Matt the calicos apparently has 2 colors and the nambulas has 3, from what ive been told. I think the calicos doesnt have the blue tinge on the fins where as the nambulas does, i could be wrong.

Does anyone know if it breeds true??

Iam sure if they are selling out of penang they have the gene stable.

nicholas76
Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:56 AM
I have read a web site dedicated to the producer of this fish and the fish itself. Calicos are diffrent

cant recall exactly dammm,,,, ill have to start looking for that url

nicholas76
Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:02 AM
http://www.nebuladiscus.com/

Nambulas

cross bred between several ghosts specimens apparently

They are diffrent but I like them!!

Regards

Nick

Hawque
Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:19 PM
I like them :D

No doubt they are expensive though... :(

Sindhu
Sat Jul 03, 2004, 05:30 PM
Hi Folks,
I recently bought 2 strange looking Discus and was told that it's a certain Nebula strain as it didn't have the 3 colours. Was really turned on and did a search, found them, wrote to them and it 's US125 for 2-2.5". It's really beautiful to my eyes and I feel that it has lots of potentials.

Sindhu
Sat Jul 03, 2004, 05:34 PM
Last one

nicholas76
Sun Jul 04, 2004, 12:28 AM
interesting colour variation.

I think it will take time for people to get used to this strain of discus.

I think you should persist with these fish, purely out of curiousty, I wonder what colours would come from a spawn.

cheers

kalebjarrod
Sun Jul 04, 2004, 08:12 AM
all discus are nice. i guess i like some more than others.

unfortunatley these aren't high on my list, but they could look good in a community of other colours.

only mine opion

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:37 AM
Hi Sindhu, and welcome to the forum. Nice looking fish. I'm always interested to see new colour strains. Looks like the breeders have a bit more work to do on the body shape, but they have a nice high fin, and the colour contrast is striking.

I'd like to see how they turned out now that they have grown. Can you post some updated pictures :P

Sindhu
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:23 AM
Hi, here's a recent photo of the Ghost. It's still young. Waiting to cross with some other red strain

DR.V
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:35 AM
look unique

Sindhu
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:41 AM
Yes, it is. There's some with 3 colours as you can see from their web site. Would be an intersting cross.

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:12 AM
somehow they just don't seem like "discus" to me.........Jim

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:15 PM
Ahhh but they all have their own unique beauty :wink:

the_oracle
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'll have to agree with jim. Discus should and have to look better than that. It's just kinda weird............

Sanie.

Benny
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 03:01 PM
sorta like a patchwork quilt...

Discus are more like a fine persian rug, imho then a ragdoll or patchwork quilt, choose which metaphor you like best...

Im no expert, but dayum dats fugli

DR.V
Mon Jun 06, 2005, 04:19 PM
its looks unique though, but i prefer snakeskin type ^^

Trebs
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:22 AM
Why try and make a discus look like a koi carp? To me it's just something new for the sake of it. Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

Fishpimpin73
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:34 AM
There is some definite "potential" for these fishies.

If I had the space and the time I would be very interested in playing with a few dozen breeding pairs of these fish.

Looking at the colors and the markings.............

Yes, lots of "potential" :wink:

kevkoi
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:43 AM
I guess the market has determined that they aren't particularly good sellers. Most breeders I know in Penang have bailed out on this strain. We have been offered 3" fully Tri-colour fish which we could sell at $55ea.

Last time we had them, we had 5 at 2" going for $180ea.... Didn't get much attention.

It's a development of the gold-head ghost strain.

dreamer
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:55 AM
surely you can sell lot more 3" @$55 compare to 2" @180

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:50 AM
Why try and make a discus look like a koi carp? To me it's just something new for the sake of it. Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

i agree its more of the same in a way. this is really going the wrong way i think. i think what attracts us to discus is the same pattern comlete look (that wasnt a good explanation) what i mean is they have a nice pattern covering the whole fish not bits here and there and not like a mixed bag of puzzle pieces. i like it a bit but not enough to want 1. i think it just really went the wrong way :arrow:

jim from sydney
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:20 AM
why in heavens name do some people want to mutate everything :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ........discus are sooooooo beautiful if they could only talk :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ....Jim

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:36 AM
lol yer speaking of mutation................ :lol:

dreamer
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:48 AM
i think at $55 a pop i wouldnt mind to grab some

Woll
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 07:46 AM
They look like squished Koi's or something...
I dont like them, but im sure they will grow on me.. lol

the_oracle
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 02:47 PM
Well, to each, his own. You might think you have something priceless, but others think it's garbage. I'll have to pass off on this one.............

Sanie.

DiscusMan
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:17 AM
Last year when i was in Penang i purchased 4 Nebulas from Stan farms.

The farm was an amazing place with over 200 thanks of only nebulas.

The nebula fish is in my opinion an extremely attractive fish. Only 1 of the four fish that i brought back from malaysia has truned out to what i would call attractive. The others will eb used for breeding to make nice ones.

The yellow colour that comes on these fish is like nothing i have seen on any other discus. and when contrasted with the red and blue with white body is just a dream to look at. My ones all have nice red eyes as well.

These fish have past there time now as an exportable fish but i know of a couple of breeders who are still very into breeding and experimenting with these fish and i cant wait for the results.

Hey each to there own. I love brown discus and ghost based fish but hey that what makes us all unique hey.

I will tke a photo of my nice looking one and then get some feedback. I will also go check out that link as soon as i submit this.

Wayne

DiscusMan
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yes the link to http://www.nebuladiscus.com/... well my fish has far less of a yellow band across the top. It only runs across the top and not down the tail section. That yellow is over the top i agree. Will post my pics ASAP.

Wayne

DiscusMan
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:29 AM
My nebulas. An old picture.

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:42 AM
They're still a good looking fish. Thanks for sharing Wayne. :wink:

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:49 AM
very nice wayne

jim from sydney
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 12:38 AM