PDA

View Full Version : not discus but pls help....

sammigold
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:04 AM
Before i go any further if you want to delete this because its not a discus prob.. i will understand.... but I thought maybe someone might be able to help...

I think my guppy has bacterial dropsy... I am currently treating her with tetracycline (as of last night)

she has been showing the symptoms over past three days....

started looking bloated and hovering near surface,
reddishness on left side which developed into tumour looking lump
and pinecone look...
Here are 2 photos.... she is isolated and I was just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing... is tetracycline the right treatment... (I had it on hand and it does say it treats bacterial infections)

Any comments would be appreciated.. I am hoping I dont have to say goodbye :cry:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/100_1576600x450.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/100_1575600x450.jpg

endless
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 05:28 AM
Apparently you can use melafix according to the aquarium pharmaceuticals site.

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/disease/dropsy.html

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 07:32 AM
Ohh sammi I'm so sorry to hear that. She looks quite distressed.

Let me explain a little about bloat or dropsy as it is sometimes known. It's not actually a disease, it's the end result of a disease that has affected the kidneys of the fish. The body fluid builds up, and so we see the typical 'pinecone' appearance your little fish is showing. By this stage, most of the internal organs have been damaged and death usually results.

I have tried many things to cure it in siamese fighting fish, with limited or no success. Yep, I tried the whole medicine box of goodies and only ever saved one, which got bloat again after a few months, and I finally had to put it to sleep.

It's worth a try with tetracycline, but I'm sorry to say, the situation looks pretty grim. :(

Ben
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 07:35 AM
We are here to help any sick fish that is in need Sammi, wethers its a discus or goldfish.

Clearly a sign of dropsy.

treating with tetracycline is a good medication to use.
Increasing the salt in the tank helps too.

But generally if the infected fish is not treated in the early stages of dropsy it is usually fatal.

Moniter all the other fish in that tank as if any fish have a low immune systen they too can pick up the infection.

Sorry for the bad news.

Ben

sammigold
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys... I have been monitoring the tank and everyone else seems quite happy... I think she is my eldest guppy and that the hot weather took its toll (28c from 24c) She bloated up quickly,m whilst the tumoury lump came up after 2 days... I started treating with pima fix and then decided the more agressive tetracycline was needed. also added some salt... anyway I will persist as long as she is still eating and breathing normally.... if she doesnt improve and becomes distressed I will have to put her to sleep :cry:

Thanks for your support... I just wanted to make sure that my chosen action was ok.... will update.. hopefully positive... fingers crossed..

sammigold
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:40 AM
Well unfortunately I have made the decision and put my lady down....
She was deteriorating... I did a water change and so forth to see if it may help but after half hour she was still looking worse... body starting to get that curved look... so I made the decision to not let her suffer further.... :cry: RiP little one....

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:14 AM
Sorry about that Sammi, but you did the right thing. Couldn't leave her to suffer. :cry: