PDA

View Full Version : what are the best subersible heaters?

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 08:33 AM
me once again,

what are the most economical and best value for money SUBMERSIBLE heaters?

no point buying crap but i don't won't to spend a fortune if i don't have too

it will be heating my 200lt storage tank

Ryan

flukes
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:54 PM
If its for your storage barrel i wouldnt bother spending big bickies, just use a crappy one and before you do a water change check the temp.
Then again if you are putting it on a automatic water changing system then you dont want to be checking the temp all the time too see if the heater has died, so you might be better off getting a better brand.
I use tetra as i have a cheap source of them and they have never done me wrong.

Proteus
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
I use Via-Aqua, Orca, AquaOne, Tetra and 2-3 other expensive brands (cant think of them now and dont want to disturb the fish shining a torch around).

They all work fine, the only problem I have ever had was turning one on accidently when a sump was empty... BOOM... it shattered after about 30 seconds.

kevkoi
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 10:59 PM
Via Aqua and Aqua One are the same (They've renamed all Via Aqua to Aqua One now).

Most are decent heaters.

We had a bit of problems with Jager heaters sometime last year. Condensation buildup inside the heaters and quite a few had to be replaced. Jager I believe has yet to come out with their new model to replace the older ones.

I don't know if it's coincidence, but I've also received 3 returned 150W Sera heaters in the last 2 weeks.... They tended to stick on "ON" all the time. I'm taking it up with the suppliers atm....... but like I said, it may just have been coincidence that I got a few duds on my batch.

If you can, get the titanium heaters...... Those are not glass sleeved, so won't crack if the sump accidentally runs dry. ;)

kev

Mattzilla
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 04:42 AM
are resun heaters reliable and acurate in your experienecs anyone?

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:31 AM
yeah guys i current use 4 aqua one 300watt heaters.

these seem quite good , no probs so far.

I do need one i don't have to worry about (because of automation) so maybe a stainless one is the go.

what about titanium, how are these?

also what do they cost me to run per day?