PDA

View Full Version : pump power

DiscusMad
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 07:47 PM
whats the best size pump for a 105g tank?

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 11:36 PM
took me awhile to work out the converion in my head

you have around 397lts (i think)

i like to turn my tank over 4 times and hour (minimum)

so you will need a pump that does 1500lts per hour after your head capacity,

most pumps work on a sliding scale (similar to ph) so i would be doing some resarch but one of about 2000lt per hour should do.

:D (hay guys did i work out the lts correct)

DiscusMad
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:28 PM
thanks mate

Proteus
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 02:28 PM
kalebjarrod, you did good with your conversions...

DiscusMad, apart from the turnover desired, the other most important thing that was lightly mentioned is head height, you may get a 4000lt/ph pump, but if your tank lid height is 5ft it may only have 2500lt/ph capacity to due to reversed gravity. All pumps usually have a graph on the side with the different height v's flow rates.

DiscusMad
Sun Jun 27, 2004, 02:52 PM
what about overflow what would be the best with for this size tank??

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:21 AM
always verge on the side of excess

i run a 3000lt per hour pump minus head takes it to maybe 2200lts-2500lts. I use a single 1 1/4 inch PVC trickle overflow, mind you this goes through a series of elbows and union joints.

this size pipe sucks air as well as water (that indicates an excess).

this allows me to upsize my pump at any stage i choose without haveing to change bulkheads and piping..

as a minimum always use a bigger bulkhead (tanks through). You can alway reduce it on either side of the bulk head. but once you cut a hole in glass its a bitch (if possible) to recut a hole.

just remember that its easier to check your pumps and trickle lines with buckets and drums on your lawn (without glueing) than it is to explain why thier is 397 lts of water, 6 dead fish, 2 kg of glass, $1000.00 bucks worth of burnt out equipment in the lounge room floor! :wink: