PDA

View Full Version : Born again Discus keeper

NDown1
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:26 AM
Hi all...

I've kept discus before, and have recently got back into them. Tank is running great, and my discus seem happy. Ive had these 2 since Xmas, and are doing fine....

One thing I notice is that they are always changing colours. Sometimes they are very bright, other times they turn darker. They also eat like pigs, and are always very hungry for turkey heart & bloodworms (1x day). They are often out scouring for food, and only get spooked if you enter the room rather quickly.

I don't see them poo much though... hoping they don't have worms! On the watch for any unusual signs everyday!

Here are my details.. please comment!!!

Size: 29 US gal; fully planted (Vals & Lotus); running almost 3yrs
Light: 1 55watt Power Compact & 2 20watt florescent bulbs - 10hr/ per day
Filter: Eheim 2213 with full media; on full blast
Heater: 200watt
UV Sterilizer - 9watt Turbo Twist
CO2 - Do It Yourself , 4L juice jug & Hagen system; Poor Man Dosing Ferts

Water-
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-8ppm
Phosphate: .5-1ppm
Potassium: 10-15ppm
Iron & Traces: 1-2ppm
GH:10
KH:4
Temp: 85deg F.

Water change - 50% 1x week

Habitants - 2 Teenager Blue Turq's; 1 Cardinal; 5 Harlequins; 1 Clown Loach; 1 Clown Pleco

Please let me know what you think!

Nick
Toronto, Canada

NDown1
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:32 AM
Couple more pics

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:37 AM
Hello Nick, Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the wonderful world of discus keeping.

Your tank looks lovely, and the little guys look happy and healthy.

Just a couple of comments. I'd increase that temperature a little, to maybe 88 for juvenile discus. They love the warm water. If you can increase the number of water changes that you do each week, that would be great too.

As you know, young fish need a lot more food than adult discus, so if you can increase the number of feedings to three times a day, you'll find the growth rate increases. The stomach of a fish is only as big as it's eye, so they can't eat much at a sitting, but they appreciate small, frequent meals.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here.