PDA

View Full Version : companion ship with discus

Bluefish
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:31 AM
Hey

OK i have a 5x2x2 with 7 discus so far ranging from sub adult up to full adults and some pairing off and laying eggs (so excited ).

My question is what other companions can go with discus. At the moment i have 10 rummy nose tetras and 5 red eye tetras, oh and of coarse my one true love my big boy gibbicep (20-25cm). Please no more suggestions about little tetras and livebearers as little tetras and livebearers dont look the best in a 5x2x2 you cant see them.

I would like biggish fish that will not outgrow the discus and will be peaceful with them. Colour is another good thing. Readily available and of course nothing that is $50 a fish i only spend that and more on my discus.

Thanks

Bluefish

goldenpigeon
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:40 AM
you could go with sme gouramis, apistos, cory cats or bn.

i have tetras in a 6x2x2 and they look great. the trick is to get a fair fw of them and the schooling affect is awesome. try buffing up you schools of tetras and you might be surprised how much more noticable they are.

HTH

Dave001
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 03:54 AM
Here's a list of fish I have in with my 7 Discus:
10 Cardinal Tetras
10 Black Neon Tetras
10 Glowlight Tetras
(the Tetras all school up and look really good)
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Sailfin Pleco
1 Bristlenose Catfish
2 Clown Loaches
6 Kuhli Loaches

All the fish get along at the moment, eventually the Black Ghost Knife will grow large enough to eat the Tetras, but when that time comes, I'll either remove the Tetras, or replace the BGK with a smaller one.

Hope this helps,
Dave

oscar
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
If you are adamant that you need something bigger than teras:

Dennison Barbs (if you can get some)
Apistogramas
Blue Rams

Kribs are another option but are well outside the bio of discus in nature.

Bluefish
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hey

Yeah i think i will grab another 20 or so rummy nose tetras. I got some blue rams the other day. I thought about kribs but they are from the rift lakes in africa so yeah i dont think that is a sensible option although they do look nice. So Black ghost knives you can have them with discus and what about elephant noses?

Kepp the ideas coming all.

Thanks

Bluefish

goldenpigeon
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
i had an elephant nose with discus and small tetras and it swas fantastic!!!!!

they are really great fish that dont eat the tetras and leave all other tank mates alone! they are very interesting and can be as big as 20-25 cm!

kevkoi
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 04:02 AM
kribensis do not come frm the rift lakes of africa. They are from the rivers of West africa (Nigeria). The conditions of the riverine fish of West Africa is closer to that of the South American Amazon than the rift lakes, ie low pH, low gH and low kH.... somewaht similar to discus water conditions.

Kribs do get a little bit territorial especially when breeding so they are not ideal tankmates, even though the water conditions of a discus tank may be close to ideal for them.

Bluefish
Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:43 AM
Hey

thanks everyone for your info.Just wondering about putting african butterfly or boliviam butterfly in they are very nice and they grow about 8cm.What would be your thoughts on this combination with discus.

Cheers

Bluefish

electric molecular
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:43 PM
Hey Bluefish,

Both African butterflys or Bolivians are fantastic with discus. Bolivians in particular are extremely quirky little fish. Africans, if you get a bull male, can be very nice looking too. I have both in with my discus, and I highly recommend these peaceful little guys.

Claire.

Bluefish
Fri Feb 03, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hey claire

Thankyou heaps for that. I have seen them in with discus before and they looked great.They are about the size i want in my tank and as for colour they are very pretty.Well i know now i can definatly put them in so that great. I will get some this week.Thanks again.

Cheers

Bluefish

electric molecular
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 07:07 AM
No probs Bluefish, enjoy :) Post us some pics of your new additions when you can.

Claire.