PDA

View Full Version : Buldging Eye Socket

Del
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 07:50 AM
Just noticed on one of my discus a swolen eye socket. It was looking a bit milky about 2hrs ago and it has now swolen up one one eye.

All other 4 are doing fine with all 5 eating well.

They were being "Aquamaster Gill Fluke and Worm"'d and this finished with a 25% water change/gravel clean and the addition of carbon on Monday.

I have read that 1 tablespoon of salt to 20 litres is the answer but is that too much? I have also heard that Discus don't like salt...

?????

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:35 PM
With discus I think the general rule is 1 teaspoon per 40 litres... at least that is what I have read here...better safe than sorry....

they may handle a little more but I think 1 tablespoon per 20litres would definitely be too much. that would be like a salt bath...

HTH

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Del, Sammi's right. Start with 1 teaspooon per 40 litres, and you can gradually build up to a stronger dose. I personally think that 1 tablespoon is a pretty heavy dose to begin with.

What your fish has sounds like Pop Eye, and is usually bacterial in origin. You may need to look at getting some antibiotics if things don't improve very soon with the salt treatment.

Del
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Sammi and Merrilyn

That's what I thought and used only 1 tablespoon per 40 litres.

It's eye looks a bit better this morning but it is breathing very slowly and hiding.

I will monitor it for the weekend and do a large water change on Wednesday.

Is this what you would do?

Merrilyn
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 01:13 AM
Exactly Del. Very often these things correct themselves with a bit of salt in the water.

If the eye begins to look worse then you need Tetracycline or Flagyl.

Keep us posted.

fishgeek
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:35 AM
in mammalian species most eye conditions have a large inflammatory component involved

my only success at treating unilateral pop eye has been to use topical eye medications that contain both antibiotics and corticosteroid antiinflammatories

andrew

sammigold
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:13 AM
I have had success with salt.... treating pop eye with my silver dollar

rupes88
Sat Jan 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hi Del ~

just wondering if the salt dose effected your plants ? Has the eye problem spread to your other fish ?

My guys are looking better but I have noticed that some of their eyes are a little swollen. However with all the meds I have run thought the tank lately I want to leave them in peace for a bit and let nature tick over. Just in case, I'd be interested to know how you get on though ~,

Hope it all goes well for the little guys!!

Rupes