PDA

View Full Version : BH recipe

vishy
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hi,
I'm new and don't exactly have discus yet but i am gathering as much info as i can before i get em. Your recipes and general info will be greatly appreciated
thanx
vishy

chrissyoscar
Fri Jun 25, 2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Vishy

Here's a link to a thread on simplydiscus.com that has a few good recipes you can try.
There are a few beefheart recipes and I think there's even a chicken recipe.
Hope it helps.

Oscar

http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4569

Proteus
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 12:38 AM
Heres another link to an article here...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

HTH

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 01:53 AM
this is just my recipe, i have found from my research that be sensible and you can create almost anything.

500grms beefheart (no fat)
12-18 fresh uncooked prawns
250grms of fresh tuna steak
1 big handfull of spinich
1 medium carrot
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of spruilina
1 egg
1 cup terta bits

my fish like it, they seem to grow like barstards, but this is my personal concoction

do some reshearch and make your own mind.

exotic discus of the world has a great artice on foods to enhance colour as well.

ONE TIP don't cut up the beef heart with your wifes good knifes and don't use her milkshake blender to mix it..... personal experience! :wink:

nicholas76
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 07:23 AM
lol - been there with the blender! new one ordered lmao

now i let the butcher clean it and use his machine

flukes
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 02:29 PM
I always stuff up with the gelatin, first time i used too little and it fell apart in the tank and then somone told me too use a whole box and it was rock hard.

Mattzilla
Mon Jul 05, 2004, 02:55 PM
i bought a manual meat grinder recently....the best investment when it comes to making your own b/h recipe.

no more messy blenders
no more uneven chunks
no more mess
less time consuming because everything can go through the meat grinder

i think you get the point....lol
do yourslef a favour and buy a meat grinder

matt

weird
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:49 PM
Ok, I picked up a meat grinder, a plastic one only costs $25 ! Not too shabby.

OK next, had the weird looks of asking for heart ... then I try a 'large' woolworths ... jackpot ! The last beefheart ! $2 for about 600 mg - on special.

So I now have all the stuff and go about grinding , and grating with a cheese grater.

OK first mistake ... putting spinach in a grinder .. that stuff clogs up !

Second mistake .. I think I overdid the spirulina , as now my beefheart mixture is green.

Next I added gelatin ... now I am now sure how much off this to add, and I guess it needs to set ?

I whacked half of the mixture into 2 ice cube trays, and threw the rest out cause I don't have any dogs at home ... I now have enough of this to feed the fishes for atleast 6 month.

The fish gave it a try and seemed to like it ... even though there are a few chunky bits ... once in water it seems to turn white very fast.

Anyway I must say i had fun, except for cleaning up.

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 07:47 AM
i add one egg and no gelatin,

don't see the point, an egg keeps it together well enough.

i feed it frozen and the fish don't let it unfreze

i also use frezer bags with one heaped tablespoon full of mix in it, i close the bag and squase it till its flat then freze, its easy to break into meal size chuncks and when you finish a pack throw it in the bin. no cleaning the tray after!

spirulina will send your mix green, don't worry, thats what it does

don't worry to much about the chunky bits, vac them when they have had enough of picing at it 10-15mins or so

just steam your spinch, then chop it up with a knife, and mix it well
thats enough for spinch

its all good, BH is a fun part of Discus plus your partner & friends will think your mad!