PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose pleco/catfish

Diesel
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:17 AM
Ok..getting confused here..what is the differance between the pleco and the catfish. Im trying to get some bristlenose into my tank, but ive been told bristlenose PLECOS, are not for discus, but the catfish are fine..getting really confused here lol

One place told me he had albino bristlenose and told me the catfish and plecos really are no differant because there all plecos. Before I put anything into my tank I really wanna know what the differance is and what I can do here. And if anyone has a link to where you can purchase said bristlenose CATFISH, id appreciate it...cuz all the shops around here cant get them.

Thanks alot

PS. they are for a live planted discus tank

Bluefish
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:12 AM
Hey

i have a pleco(20-25cm) long in my tank he is great.I think that you can just put any type of bristle noses in.bristle noses plecos i haven''t heard of before but i could be wrong.but i have heard that if you are putting them in with discus just watch what medication you put in with discus some may affect your brislte nose or your pleco hope this helps a little. I have had no problems with mine pleco and i have seen alot of placeses that have bristle noses in there tanks with discus.

cheers

Bluefish

sharn
Thu Jan 26, 2006, 10:35 AM
ok.... "Pleco" is used as a common name for pretty much all fish that come from the Loricariidae family. This covers a huge range of species, the most common of which are Ancistrus, Hypansistrus, Farlowella, Hypostomus, Otocinclus, Panaque and Pekoltia. Its basically anything that has rows of armour plating and an underslung suckermouth

Bristlenose plecos (some people call the bristlenose catfish though)(Ancistrus sp) dont grow very large at all. http://fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/640.htm theres a link to the bristlenose. you can keep them with discus no probs and you can even have a few as they dont grow big.

now theres a few types of 'common plecos', but they most certanly can grow large. a few common ones people own are marbled sailfin (Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus), the common sailfin (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps), and the 'common' (Hypostomus punctatus or Liposarcus pardallis). most of those i mentioned just then averahe from 30-50cm normally so are rather large :) those are all suitable for the discus because they tend to keep the themselves.

do a search on them but i think you'll find your after the bristlenose regardless of whether is has pleco or catfish after it.

hope this helped :lol:

Bluefish
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 02:28 AM
Hey Mate

Ok pretty much any type of suckermouth catfish can go with discus. As for bristlenose there is Normal, Albino, Orange spot and peppermint as well as a heap others that would leave your wallet empty. Plecos and gibbies (gibbiceps) are also fine in the tank mate and these include a hell of alot of them. From Albino, common, goldspot, zebra, marbled, lemon, vampire, leopard and a heap heap more. Most of these come under the name L numbers then a number after it for example a gold spot is L001 which gives it its place for people to be able to find it. As for your bushy nose plecos it is my understanding that they are just the normal bristlenose as the link will explain below mate.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1039

Visit it and it should clear things up ok.

HTH

Bluefish

sammigold
Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:42 AM
you could also look at planet catfish...that has pictures and descriptions of what type of environment that the different types of catfish require...HTH

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

amitchhabra79
Sun Feb 05, 2006, 04:38 AM
Hi,
I have two discus with two upside down catfish and one pleco, they are doing absolutely fine. Moreover these three are busy sticking to something or the other in the tank rather than disturbing anyone. I have had them for around four months or more. Nothing happened so far, So go ahead dude no issues. :D