PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up A New Tank

ellwa
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Have only been kicking around these forums for a week, but have already started to absorb loads of info that as given me alot of insights into everything thats is going to be going on in my aquarium.

I just wanted some more advice before I finish information gathering and get it all happening.

The basics...

my pH out of the tap is 7.2
my carbonate hardness is about 34ppm/2°dkh

I am looking to go full CO2 injected planted tank.
I have Hydor undergravel heating cable, 110W of power compact lighting with 2 50/50 atinic/10000k tubes
aquarium is 40G corner unit.
Thinking about putting a FLuval 305/405 underneath, or I have today found Aqua Nova Canister
In terms of filtration, I want best bang for my buck, and I cant really afford more than $250...

External Canister Filter - 1200L/h

Technical Specifications:

1200 L/H flow rate
3 Stage Filtration
Quick Release Tap
Self Priming
Comes with all pipes and joints

Comes complete with media:

1x White Sponge
1x Black Sponge
Ceramic Rings
Activated Carbon

Description:

Highly efficient filtration for faster breakdown of harmful substances and long operation. Filtration includes mechanical, biological, adsorptive and chemical components. These external canister filters are ideal for cultivating a true biological water component for the inhabitants of your aquarium,

This canister filter automatically pumps water from the aquarium, through it's filtration stages and back into the aquarium. It has a wonderful pump head structure that is fit for simple operation and cleaning with a biochemically laminated filtering construction and excellent filter material. A unique capacity design allows for the efficient use of the entire canister volume.

A canister filter like this an ideal addition to an aquarium enthusiasts set up.
http://www.tropicalfishonline.com.au/images/ncf-1200l.jpg
I can get this, with two loads of media, for $110 delivered.
Apparently they are made in teh same factory in China that the Eheims are being made it.

I just found this one on ebay for a pretty good price, too, complete with UV steriliser..

You looking on a brand new Jebao "Bioforce" canister filter. It has similar design with EHEIM Professional II canister filters. Auto start by just press the button. It runs 1000L/H, but water flow can be adjusted to meet small aquarium tanks(2 or 3 ft tanks).

This multi-stage "Bioforce filter" has an extra function --- filter aquarium harmful bacterial by an installed special high tech "X foam"(Nano tech product, same technology as disease free air conditioning applied, it only works when water pass the surface of X foam). No more UV steriliser required!!! And save you over $150 compare to the build in UV tube canister filter.

(The normal filter process is sucking dirt with aquarium water to the bottom of the canister filter, the dirt remain in the bottom of the filter and result in the growth of harmful disease back to the tank with water flow, This filter stops harmful disease go back the tank)

It works extremely silent and reliable. Package includes all installed filter medias(4 different filter medias in 2 large baskets) and all connection accessories(no more extra parts needed), and it has Australia standard cable and plug(240v/50Hz) & 12months motor warranty. Compatible replacement parts can be find in any aquarium shops.

Here is one customer's email(from W.A.):

Hi Jimmy

We are very happy with the new canister. I sometimes wonder if it is working and just have to go and check........that's how quiet it is. Excellent Product, thank you

Regards

RRP: $280.00

A real value added high quality external filter, but sale at simple 2 clips economic model filter price. Promotion sale, don't miss it.

Specail sale by AquaCor Aquarium

Picture shows it keep my 4ft fish tank in crystal clear more than 3months without clean the canister.

Suggestion: Always buy good quality external filter with professional filter medias. Cheap exteranl filter also sale without filter medias (it could cost you over $50 and a lot time to buy it).

Email me if you have any questions.http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/c8/cf/9a_1_bl.JPG

My next question, is substrate.
I've looked at the Seachem Laterite?[or is it flourite? im not sure.. 7kg bag for about $70]
and today I looked at the red sea for about the same price.
I also have a tub of JBL plant fertilizer that goes underneath the gravel.
I have read alot about laying soils etc, but I want to go for something that is already made up, because I dont want to mess it up.

I am also looking at pressurized CO2, and just need a push in the right direction so I dont stuff that up again, I bought a regulator in the US, but the attatchments are all wrong, and its 110V, not 240V, whoops.

I have been looking at the Tunze regulator, but then realised tonight that it doesnt have a solenoid on it, hrmm.. thats no good..

I am also looking at the milwaukee meters, SMS122 and the reducer with solenoid, for about $450 all up. Then either an Air-Up 2.3kg bottle, or doing the fire extinguisher retro-fit, but again, I dont know what hardware to buy. I've been reading alot about "swageloc" on these forums, but I dont know what to buy.

Any help would be great, you guys have such an amazing resource, and its a pleasssure to be a part of it.

thankyou in advance for your help.

I'm on sydneys north shore, if that helps..
any shops etc you could point me to would be great.

elliot.[/img]

Mr_K
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Elliot,

On the filter front, if you are quick (sale finishes at the end of January) you can pick up some VERY cheap gear from www.ageofaquariums.com.au. They have Aqua Pro cannisters on sale, the 1000lph model is only $50.00 (bargain!!) the 1200lph model is going for $60.00 or the 1500lph for $70.00. You won't find cheaper than that, it makes me wish I needed a filter :)

If you need heaters they are also cheap there, via aqua stainless steel heaters with remote temperature controllers are all $20.00 each.

Just a note that you may want to get new tubes for your lights as actinic lights do nothing much for plants, they are really only suited for marine applications.

As far as CO2 systems go the milwaukee is the cheapest option that I have been able to find, it is also the only regulator that I have seen with a built in bubble counter and solenoid. All other regulators that I have seen are regulator only.

Is the solenoid on your US regulator detachable? if it is you can still use it. You just need to get a 240 - 110 V transformer for it from somewhere like Jaycar.

I hope this helps you.

Adam

ellwa
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:11 PM
thanx adam.

On the topic of filters, I was more curious if those canisters are OK, or if they are just rubbish.

I'll be putting eheim media in them too...

as for the american regulator..

BOC say it wont go onto a bottle, the fitting is wrong, but I suspect I can get something from swageloc, but i have no idea what im looking for, as i cant find the specs on the reg to figure out sizes for valves etc.
i might see if i can get a diffrent solenoid for it though.. then I only have to worry about the fitting..
perhaps if someone can work it out from this pic..
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20030616153516/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/bigimages/lg_14050_21158D.jpg
getting power to it isnt too much drama, but if I dont replace the whole thing, then I dont think i'll be able to add it to a controller at a later stage..

thanx for your help.

revkev
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:44 PM
3rd pic is a BOC CO2 setup with DIY bubble counter 2nd pic is the milwaukee setup 1st pic is a CO2 diffuser DIY made from 50mm pvc tube from bunnings you can get all the end caps and pipes from the irragation dept. You can mix flourite 50/50 with your gravel.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/th_MVC-003E.jpg (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/MVC-003E.jpg)
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/th_MVC-002E.jpg (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/MVC-002E.jpg)
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/th_MVC-001E.jpg (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/MVC-001E.jpg)

DarrenJThomas
Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
The guys from BOC dont know what they are talking about. If you could take a photo of the actual connection under the nut i recon it is the same as the dupla setup.

I have converted a dupla setup to australian bottles. See my post below.

If it isnt the same as the Dupla setup take a photo for me and I will talk to my plumber mate and let you know the fittings you require.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43499&highlight=#43499

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:03 AM
The guys from BOC dont know what they are talking about. If you could take a photo of the actual connection under the nut i recon it is the same as the dupla setup.

I have converted a dupla setup to australian bottles. See my post below.

If it isnt the same as the Dupla setup take a photo for me and I will talk to my plumber mate and let you know the fittings you require.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43499&highlight=#43499
Hi Darren, Thanx for your help this far...

the nut on the outside had an ID of about 20mm, and the hex end on the inside of that is about 18mm..

When you say most hardware stores, like bunnings etc?

DarrenJThomas
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:50 AM
That whole nut and spicket assembly will unscrew from the regulator. I recon that if you get an Australian one and providing the tread in the reg is the same as the Australian one it will screw in with some teflon tape.

If you have trouble getting one (The guys at BOC may come up with some C*R*A*P reason, also they dont want the liability if something goes wrong) then I have one in my shed.

HTH

You could also try getting one of the teflon washers / Oring (Photo 1) and place it between the face of the Australian bottle and the spicket of your reg. This is exactly how the Aussie stuff work, just that the spicket has a method of holding the washer in the right place. Just make sure you do it up tight.

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
Well,

I've just gotten back from a trip down to the homebrew store in north sydney, and also spoken to one of Air-Ups suppliers, and also been to a hardware store.
It turns out the thread is half-inch, and apparently, so are most standard CO2 bottles, and the reseller for Air-Up thinks that their bottles are half inch, so im waiting for a response from Air-Up direct, and hopefully go from there.

as for removing the US bit and replacing it with Aus standard, I cant even get it off, and Im scared that I'll pull the solenoid off or something stupid like that

thanx for your help, its making the whole process alot easier.

Sime76
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:54 AM
I have the milwaukee all-in-one regulator and it fitted perfectly to a hired Air Liquide co2 bottle, which is way cheaper that BOC by the way and no adapters were required.

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:01 AM
I have the milwaukee all-in-one regulator and it fitted perfectly to a hired Air Liquide co2 bottle, which is way cheaper that BOC by the way and no adapters were required.

Thanks Sime, are you able to tell me the thread diameter at all? that is the main thing im looking for now, in the hardware I was in I spoke to them and the reg I have fits a 1/2" thread.

also, what size is your Air Liquide bottle? is it the same D size as the BOC cylinders?
thanx

elliot.

Sime76
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:15 AM
Sorry no idea on the thread size, goto http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/ and send them the question, thats where I bought mine from.

Regarding the bottle yeah its a DL size, holds 9kg net of gas. $17 a year rental.. GOLD! Had it running for over 2 years and still haven't had to refill, averaging a bubble or 2 a second.

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:20 AM
So I just had a phonecall from Air-up regarding thread size etc.
as it turns out, it wont fit, but the fittings are very similar, and apparently its illegal to have any connectors between the bottle and the reg.

However, I'm wondering if it wouldnt be possible to simply replace the bolt that screws onto the bottle? Darren -- I'm looking at you for this one.

Thanx again guys.

We'll get this one sorted just like we got the T5 lighting sorted.
and just like I established that SLS is the best place to buy fish.

I love this forum 8-)

DarrenJThomas
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:34 PM
If you put the spicket that goes into the regulator into a vice and twist the regulator you should crack the seal on the thread to the regulator and be able to remove the whole spicket and nut. You can then change it for an Aussie one. It may take a bit of pressure but should be designed to come out.

To be sure that it doesnt already fit have you tried the thread of the nut on an actual bottle. I had to do this with my dupla one after may people told me that i couldnt use the Dupla regulator on an Aussie bottle. If the thread is the same the nylon washer is all that may be required.

The thread on a bottle is 1\2 inch as this is the size fittings i used for my setup. I recon someone at Air Up is pulling your leg due to the litigation reasons.

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:28 PM
If you put the spicket that goes into the regulator into a vice and twist the regulator you should crack the seal on the thread to the regulator and be able to remove the whole spicket and nut. You can then change it for an Aussie one. It may take a bit of pressure but should be designed to come out.

To be sure that it doesnt already fit have you tried the thread of the nut on an actual bottle. I had to do this with my dupla one after may people told me that i couldnt use the Dupla regulator on an Aussie bottle. If the thread is the same the nylon washer is all that may be required.

The thread on a bottle is 1\2 inch as this is the size fittings i used for my setup. I recon someone at Air Up is pulling your leg due to the litigation reasons.
I tried it on a bottle yesterday, and it looks like it will fit, but the thread seems to have a diffrent depth or something....

The girl that rand me from air-up also said that its illegal to use converters on bottles.. whoops!

Unfortunately I dont have a vice, and I also have no idea where I'm going to get the correct nut.. Guess I'll get onto welding supply stores this morning :)

DarrenJThomas
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:40 PM
You will not only have to change the nut but also the spicket that goes into the reg. I have the exact thing you need if you cant get one.

The welding shop is the place to go. You may still get some resistance in regards to help due to litigation. If they wont help maybe they could just loosten the spicket for you using a vice.

ellwa
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:58 PM
so I need a spicket and the associated nut

thats all I need to ask for? how come I cant just chance the nut? [i figure im better off asking too many questions, thats leaving out the vital ones!]

also, how much am i going to be up for? $5? $10? $100?

cheers

DarrenJThomas
Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:56 AM
If you are changing the nut you may as well change the spicket as well. This will provide a proper connection and oring to the gas bottle as oppose to the american style you currently have.

The last photo in my Co2 posting is of a Comet 200Kpa regulator. That cost only $135 so i am sure that the spicket and nut would be cheap.

If it is too expensive i will send you mine via post if you pay for postage.

ellwa
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:56 AM
Right,

The ball is rolling bigtime now.

Got my tank back this afternoon.

power compacts are mounted insidethe hood so they arent contacting with the glass.

just ordered an Eheim 2224 complete with media

and got back from the LFS an hour ago with two bags of Flourite.

next step...

we wait again!

thanx for all the help so far guys. you've been great!