PDA

View Full Version : Airstones changing PH level

FishLover
Sat Jan 21, 2006, 06:19 PM
For months, everytime I turn on my air pump, my PH level shoot up. I thought it was because the air pump drove the CO2 out resulting the PH level change.

I finally did an acid test on my airstones. I put them in some PH down and it boubles like crazy! No wonder they drive my PH level up when I turn on the air pump!

Just want to share the information with everyone.

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:12 AM
Wow, that's interesting. What sort of airstones are you using. One of our sponsors, Age of Aquariums sells stainless steel airstones. Might be worth investigating.

FishLover
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:16 PM
I think any sand stone ones arr bad. You will have to test them to be sure.

quocphu
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:51 PM
I have the same problem with my water PH as well and didnt know who to ask. I have two 150L plastic barrels, when i put in before airstone it the water reading is 7 neutrual, but after i put a big air stone balls into it and bubble for 2 days PH change to ""8"" :shock: , i was shock. But there is something i notice, when i use my VERY OLD air stone to age the water in a 200L Glass tank the PH only chaged to 7.2 only, that explain everytime i change the water my fish stop eating for a while :x :x

I think if the airstone is new it could be bad compare to the old ones. Has anyone use stainless steel airstone which doesnt change the PH, i would love to get a fews :D .

After i found this forum, i addict to discus even more coz i get all of my answers to problems from here, thanks ladyred heaps for helping us out lots and many others too you re all champs.

FishLover
Sun Jan 29, 2006, 07:38 PM
I'm now using ceramic airstomes. They don't change PH level as far as I can tell. Cost is about $2.50 each, comparing to $1.50 for sand stone ones. I think that extract $1 is well worth it. After all, we are talking about BIG money trying to bring PH level down!

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 30, 2006, 12:25 AM
That's a very interesting experience. Thanks for sharing fishlover.