PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my old bio-wheel to help cycle new tank?

timotel
Sat Jan 21, 2006, 04:38 AM
Just wondering if I use an old bio-wheel that's been fully cycle on the new tank. I planning to just submerge the bio-wheel and use a hydro sponge filter then add the fish.

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:52 AM
HI timotel. You can certainly add the cycled bio-wheel to your new tank to seed the sponge filter. The number of fish you can add will depend on how large the bacteria colony is in your bio wheel.

As you know, the bacteria colony is a living thing, and the size of it depends on how much food is available. The food is ammonia, produced by the waste from fish. In other words, lots of fish produce lots of waste, which means lots of ammonia. This in turn produces a large bacteria colony.

If your bio wheel came from a tank with very few fish, then the colony will be small, and you'll need to give it time to grow larger. This means adding fish slowly, one at a time.

Keep an eye on your ammonia readings in the new tank. A rise in ammonia (in fact ANY ammonia) means that the bio filter is not coping. Do more water changes, and don't add any more fish till you are seeing a zero ammonia reading.