PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice would be appreciated

aprofromindia
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hi there I posted before regarding the topic Discus Hiding: and all comments were appreciated.

Now over the past week they have gotten used to the tank and the bigger one keeps on pecking at the other one though not always, anyways I am a bit concerned about the smaller one as it hasnt yet started showing its colours and the edges of the fins are dark so I am attaching pictures of both discus and would appreciate your input regarding Discus 2 (the smaller one with faded appearance and darker fins) and its health.

Also I am thinking about putting 2/4 Blue rams do you think that will help in getting the discus's getting along as the blue rams will definitely look for establishing territoryas I dont wanna add any more discus. Cheers Guys.

sammigold
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:35 AM
Do you have just the two discus?? I know you say you don't want to add anymore but most people agree that discus do better in groups of 3 or more so even if you just added one more it may make a big difference as it will give the bigger one someone else to concentrate on as well so he can divide his time between picks... if you get one roughly the same size as the bully he may be less inclined to pick...

otherwise I suppose all you can really do is give the smaller one plenty of places to hide and hope for the best.... maybe move the larger one out for a while, move the tank decor around then put him back in in a couple of weeks and he may think hes in a new place without his old territory to fight for he may stop bullying.... HTH

aprofromindia
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 04:04 AM
Hi sammi thanks for your advice

Its only a 70ltr tank so I think another discus would probably to be too much but is this pecking a generally life and death matter or is it just natural in cichlids.

And moreover what do you guys think about the smaller one does it look healthy on the pic.

Cheers. Apro.

G-1000
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hi Mate,

Discus will pick at each other to establish an order of command. The fact you only have 2 fish in the tank means that one will be dominant and the other submissive. Even if this changes between the two fish - one will always peck the other.

Just the way they are (cichlids after all)

G