PDA

View Full Version : Green Water Need Help As Soon As Possible !! HELP ME !!

Mulisha
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:27 AM
Hey everyone i have green water i'm pretty sure and need some help as soon as possible as going on holidays on friday morning :lol:

Specs:
Nitrate:5ppm
Ammonia:0
KH:2
PH:6.8
Temp:26 degrees

I do a w/c on the tank every 5 days at 45%.

I'm not sure what caused this but need help as soon as possible as it's looks bad and my plants are all getting holes in them :( :( :( :(

I need HELP LOL..

If you need any more infomation let me know BTW

I have 6x 36w 6500K tubes on the tank as well as prsureised co2.
I did dose a small amount of ferts for the first time and COULD have caused this maybe. Has 2x 1200LPH canister filters as well.

Here are some pics to show you the water and the algae :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Thanks for ya help

Please Help!

Mulisha
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:28 AM
By the way looks worst today and more holes in the leaves :( :(

duck
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:45 AM
Yep you have pea soup,Don't panic it won't kill the fish.
Did you do anything major or added to the tank recently?
2 things you can do.
1) get a UV
2) leave it and sooner or later it will go.
GW is usally associated with a amonia spike or new tank setup's.

sammigold
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 04:51 AM
Id start with a few water changes over the next few days... and maybe if you post how large a dose of fert you put in one of the guys will be able to advise...

Mulisha
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 05:09 AM
Well i doesd Seachem Florish like it said on bottle and i doesed it twice that week like it said to and also added a calcium block to th tank to add calicium and magnesium to maybe fix all these holes in the plants but no luck it's all getting worse and i'm getting upset how such a nice tank can to into a "Swamp Monster" LOL

goldenpigeon
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:00 AM
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET RID OF THOSE SERPAE TETRAS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!???

i would start with w/c's and go from there.

duck
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:24 AM
No amount of WC will get rid of it.
If you go the WC way then replace the water from an established tank.

Ben
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:27 AM
I don’t think water changes will solve the problem.

If it is possible a UV installed on the tank will clarify the water and kill the algae as it pass's through the unit.

There are algae meds that can be administered to the tank but as these are a kind of poison i would be very reluctant to use them.

As you have a canister filter a UV could be installed easily for less than $80-

HTH

Ben

Mulisha
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 06:38 AM
OK thanks everyone might have to look into getting a UV :shock:

sammigold
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
Duck, thanks for the advice re: water change not helping.... I thought that it would....
would I be also wrong if I said I thought that I read somewhere that switching the lights off in the tank could help stop the algae from multiplying?

mulisha: sorry I gave crap advice :oops:

duck
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 09:56 AM
Duck, thanks for the advice re: water change not helping.... I thought that it would....
would I be also wrong if I said I thought that I read somewhere that switching the lights off in the tank could help stop the algae from multiplying?

mulisha: sorry I gave crap advice :oops:
I have had green water aswell a little while ago,I though i would try for myself the WC,I did 2 way's the first was from an established tank,It seem to run it's course quicker,The next time i tdid straight WC from the tap and it does'nt work you need to let it run it's course or get a UV.

Just swichting the light wont help much either,You need to do a complete blackout for period of time,No light getting to the tank

No such thing as crap advice

sammigold
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
thanks duck.... ok maybe not crap just ill-informed :wink:

Davo
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mulisha,

I had the same problem so I bought some Algaefix and added 10ml to my 400l tank and in about 3-4 hours the tank was crystal clear.

Do not overdose the algaefix but otherwise it works fine.

Dave.

Mulisha
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:19 PM
OK dave were did you buy that stuff and do u have a brand it's made by? :D :D :D :D

Mulisha
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 06:34 AM
Ok got myself some Algaefix to try tonight i'll see how it goes *Fingers Crossed*

LOL :?

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 06:40 AM
Before you add chemicals.

Have you tried adding another filter with a good quality carbon in it ?

Also Algae from what I have read can absorb oxygen during the night so turning off your Co2 and aerating the tank may help. ( the fish anyway )

Also good gental water circulation around the whole tank can help to stop to many nutrients getting caught up in one area of the tank.

I know with Co2 you don't wan't to break the water surface, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use an extra canister or small internal beneath the surface of the water. You may have exceded your bio-load on your filtration.

What size filter are you using ?

Have you cleaned out the pipes to ensure your flow rate has not reduced ?

You would be suprised how much of an affect some mulm on the inside of the pipes can have on flow rates !!

I'm not sure what substrate you have but it looks like gravel from the photo's, if you have added laterite in there and you don't want to vacuum it out just do a light surface gravel clean.

I also tend to think more water changes can't hurt. You have an algae bloom if you had a bacterial bloom due to the tank not being cycled properly your water would be cloudy ( white ) ( not green )

At this stage I would not be adding any ferts at all untill you get it under control which you will. At least you know it's not going to kill your fish.

I had the same problem a few years ago for about ten day's and that ten day's seem to go on forever.

Del
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 06:41 AM
All of them crossed for you Rick - good luck!

Mulisha
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
Cheers everyone i have done about 3 w/c over the last week at 40% and now difference.

I will try this ALGAEFIX i mean i can't really make it much worse LOL allt he plants look like there gona die they are all bent holes in the leaves my tiger lotus looks like Sh1t just very upsetting to see it all happen and feel like hitting it with a hammer LOL :( :( :( :(

Thanks agian.....

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 07:09 AM
[quote="Mulisha"]

I did dose a small amount of ferts for the first time and COULD have caused this maybe. Has 2x 1200LPH canister filters as well.
quote]

Just went back through your post and read about the ferts and filters.

What ferts did you use ?

Do you have an iron test kit ?

Just read your last post don't dispair you have a beutiful tank and everybody always has something go wrong in the hobby.

Most of your plants have a great chance of recovering.
Unlike fish they don't have the nervous systems and internal organs that one can permanently cause damage too.

Would be great if you could do some posts on the new AGA forum with such a great set-up.

In the meantime keep us posted on the algaefix treatment.

Cheers.

Mark

Mulisha
Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cheers Mark yeah just my discus were sick and then my tank went green and didn't really know to do so no better place to ask then here and well there isn't anywere better :D

I have dosed my tank with algaefix 10ml for a 455L tank LOL very strong stuff...

Well i post you a picture of the tank 1hr 45mins later the most biggest improvment ever :shock: This stuff really works and for only $12.50 for something that treats 5750L :D

I will make a post all about this on AGA tonight for you so we can keep this as a great reminder of what can happen LOL :oops: :oops:

I'll also post my set up i have as well.. :roll:

Thanks everyone for your help i still need help with the holes in my leaves and BBA growing on my plants and some other problems lol.. :oops: :oops:

Mulisha
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
This is my tank looks very very nice from using Algaefix

Mulisha
Wed Jan 18, 2006, 01:49 PM
Another This was 2 hrs after treatment best stuff ever :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Del
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 12:16 AM
WOW Rick! That's a hell of a difference from before... and just in time for you to head out on your holiday...

Mulisha
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:36 AM
Yeah it worked so well i recommend it to anyone with Green Water or got large amounts of algae in there tank.. :D

Del
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:12 AM
Do you think it would help with hair algae?

Mulisha
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 05:50 AM
Well i have hair algae on a few things in my tank and before i got Greewater the BBA used to look very healthy so to speak it used to release O2 bubbles and look very thick and black now it's a light brown colour and is dying slowly.

So yes i would try dosing some of this to get rid of it my tank has gone from a green soup to a crystal clear tank with algae dissaperring off my leaves and gravel and i can see this stuff work.

Like i said this stuff is just awersome and try it anyone with algae problems becuase it does work. Also now my tank is not the slightest bit cloudy and has a very nice blue tinge to the water which makes it look very nice.

This product is very powerfull and i used 10ml out of a 120ml bottle for my 450L tank.

One 120ml bottle cost me $12.50 and treats 5000L so very good value for money :D :D

HTH

Post some close up pics of the algae your talking about and i'll help you solve the problem most of us all have :lol:

Mulisha
Thu Jan 19, 2006, 05:54 AM
Also maybe start a thread about your algae problems etc in the new site for plants :D :D

This would be a great spot to get everyones help :D

LINK:

http://www.aquaticgardensaustralia.com/

Goodluck :D

Del
Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks Rick - will do.

DEL

discus21
Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:17 PM
before you but a uv filter

please read this forum info