PDA

View Full Version : Caught Red Handed

Chris McMahon
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:14 PM
The last few days I've come to find one of my Anubius floating in the tank each morning. Sometimes with one or two stem plants as well. I'd put this down to my poor planting technique and each day I'd replant them, making sure that they were secure. They never came out during the day, only at night.

Of course the next morning, the anubius was floating on the surface again.

This evening, while working late at the computer (next to the tank), my tank lights turn off as usual at 1am. Then I notice my discus give the replanted Anubius a little nudge. Nothing too strong, just a nudge.

A few seconds later he gives the plant another nudge, with more force this time and manages to move it to one side. Hmm, interesting I think to myself, and return my attention to the computer.

About 30 seconds later a flurry of activity gets my attention. There's my discus, forehead wedged against the base of the anubius going h ell-for-leather. This is a discus with a mission. He's pi ssed. After about 10 seconds of frantic tail swishing, the anubius sails off into the tank destined to spend the rest of the night on a scenic tour of the top and all parts "up".

Thinking that my gardening friend had finished this week's episode of "Changing Rooms" I thought about replanting the anubius. Before I could roll up my sleeve, my Don Burke of the water world decides that that stem plant has been giving him dirty looks all day and now it's going to get sorted.

Again, "head down, arse up, swim like buggery" goes into effect and my Hygrophlia difformis joins as the caboose of the 1:15am surface train.

His gardening lust sated, my discus now positions himself between the tank wall, heater and CO2 diffuser to dream of all things fishy for the rest of the night.

Tomorrow he's putting in a bookshelf.

Proteus
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 05:06 PM
RFLMAO... :lol:

Your Discus needs to be introduced to Bob (the builder) my large Clown Loach, he owns the tank he is in, and he decides where things are planted or rocks are placed... YES, ROCKS!!! He just throws his head behind something and doesnt stop till the mission is done...

Throw em together and maybe they will start whistling chain gang tunes...

:wink:

kevkoi
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 11:49 PM
LMAO!!!

luvfishies
Wed Jun 23, 2004, 03:25 PM
FOCPMP!!!

Love the description!

As for the anubias, elastic it to a rock or driftwood and THEN lets see how well the rearranging mission goes :twisted:

Chris McMahon
Wed Jun 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
FOCPMP!!!
That acronym's got me guessing. No idea. Some variation of FOMC?

As for the anubias, elastic it to a rock or driftwood and THEN lets see how well the rearranging mission goes :twisted:Once I saw him do it, I realised that replanting it was a waste of time. That was HIS spot, and he's not going to put up with any plants in HIS spot.

Watching him as I type this, it's quite weird. He's got maybe 3" from the tank wall and the next plant. Maybe 5" from the heater (centre short tank side) to the CO2 diffuser (front short tank side), aka "HIS spot".

For the last 5 minutes or so, I've watched him "lean" over, parallel to the closest plant. He'll tilt over to maybe 45 degrees, then right himself. Reminds me of drifting off to sleep in a chair and catching yourself, then repeating the process a few seconds later.

luvfishies
Wed Jun 23, 2004, 08:27 PM
8) FOCPMP is a little "rude", sorry if I offend anyone by spelling it out ;)

Fell Off Chair Pi**ed My Pants.......

Proteus
Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:07 PM
oh skwij... I luv FOCPMP...

:lol: