PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if the lads have white spot

rupes88
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
Me and my girlfriend feel like a stressed parents who have just brought their first child home.

Anyway I've had my 5 new discus for 5 days now. They have been more amazing than I thought they would be and they seem to love us and their new home too.

Tonight I was just about to do my first water change and I noticed little white salt dots on three of the D's (fins and a few on the body). So I turned to forum and spent the next two hours researching white spot. Long live the Discus Forum

Anyway after reading a million threads I was pretty sure the lads had the dastardly white spot so before I added the medicine my LFS prescribed i did a 30% water change. I then flicked on the lights and to my surprise the vast majority of the white spots had disappeared. Since the water change the fish have also flared up loads in colour and are looking better than ever.

So I'm asking myself maybe that wasn't white spot and it was just some particles that stuck to the fish and were washed off as I added the new water ??? Or does white spot drop off when the eggs hatch ???

Should I wait before adding the meds or should I add them to be safe ??

Sorry if these are stupid questions but having never seen white spot I'm a little unsure.

Thanks ~ Rupes

PS: All night my girlfriend and I have been wondering that 'if we are this stressed about the fish what are we going to be like as parents'.
:roll: :lol:

Ben
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:40 PM
Rupes,

I have seen in the past small particle adhere to the discus, some what resembling white spot.

I believe that this can happen as discus have a more slime on their bodies than fish with larger scales, and if there is a lot of debris in the water and they are a little stressed it can look suspicious.

One thing to note discus very rarely get white spot due to the higher than normal temperatures that we keep them in.

In saying that what temperature do you have them in at the moment?

At this stage try and get a photo for us if possible and don’t treat with any medication just yet.

Keep up the water changing by doing %30 every day.

Please keep us posted,

Ben

rupes88
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
Cheers Ben, thanks for the quick response.

The temp is siting just over the 30 mark. Yes, from what I read from one of Proteus's post you can slow/stop the white spot cycle with higher temps. So maybe the lads are safe aftre all !!

Great, I would like to hold off if possible on the meds till I sure. Ill try and get a pic of they start coming back. :P ~~

Now I've used the aging barrel I'll step up the w/c...I read you are the king of the w/c......as my moods seem linked to the little fellas at the moment if there happy with a daily change then so am I........ :wink:

Ben
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
Thats a perfect temp Rupes!

When you can take a picture that would be great.

Just quietly, i have been known to water change a tank 4 times in one day!

But its very true...A water change a day keeps the doctor away!

Ben

FishLover
Thu Jan 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
4 times a day! You must be very busy.

Ben
Fri Jan 13, 2006, 05:00 AM
lol, it only happens with young discus around 4-8 weeks old.

G-1000
Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
Ben needs to tell you about the drugs he feeds his fish. That GLSS is just weirdly colourful... lol

However I would have to agree that water chages are crucial.

G