PDA

View Full Version : Water change help

timotel
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 08:02 AM
I have a backup sixty gallon tank, which I'm planning to store RO + 30% tap water to accommodate the bi-weekly water changes. Since the backup tank is downstair and my main tank is upstair, I need some suggestion to pump the water upstair. I purchase a Python No Spill system but I don't think that will solve my problem.

Also anyone have any success with algae shrimp like Yamato in a planted discus tank. I'm a bit hesitant on trying due to the high water temperature which could kill them.

FishLover
Mon Jan 09, 2006, 03:20 PM
Buy a pump that can reach the height of your upstairs plus the fish tank height.

I use a pump that rated for 6 feet and it is doing fine since I only have to pump it from the floor to the height of my tank, which is about 5 feet. Mine cost about $40 and I think it is money well spent. I would say you may need a pump to reach 14+ feet if you add up the floor height and the tank height.

I have ottos in my tank to control the algee. I think shrimps are kind of aggressive in nature.

G-1000
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:25 AM
Just a suggestion here:

If you are going to try pumping the water upstairs, you will have to get a very strong pump, since 14 foot (or whatever the height diff is) of water - will weigh a lot.

Would it be plausible to do a "bucket shuffle?". It would be a pain, but less problematic.

G

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hey for a pump maybe look into buying a second hand pump that was used for a dam or house or something like that and then if the pressure is to much just use like a hose fitting for your garden hose and adjust it but buying an aquarium pump for that head hight is pretty costly have a look in the trading post or something like that.

Another thing can you fit the aging tank under your main tank and just run a small pump to pump it up into the tank?

HTH

FishLover
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, it will cost you about $200 if you want to reach 14 feet plus. Here is one from the net:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12824&Ntt=pump&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

It can reach up to 14' and 9". It is used for ponds. I assume it will empty your 60 g tank in few minutes. Maybe too powerful.

The max height for fish tank pump they have is about 10 feet, cost at $46.99 plus S&H. I would not count on the max height to work all the time. At least give yourself one foot room just in case. You may staging this too by adding another container upstairs so you don't have to reach the 14 feet plus at one time. Use two pumps to do the job or use the same pump twice at different places. Here is the link to look for the 10 feet pump:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4671&inm=1&N=2004+2032

I order things from them all the time and so far did not have any problems.

One more thing, you also have to consider how far the distance the water has to travel. The longer distance, the more powerful pump you will need since it has to push all the weight of the water in the hose.

Ben
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:21 PM
timotel,

Work out how high in metres you have to pump the water then you could buy a pump accordingly.

Cheers
Ben

oscar
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 07:17 AM
Don't forget that "head" isn't just the height from the pump to the aquarium. It's also the friction & backpressure produced by flowing through the hose.

You may have to make quite an allowance depending on both the length and diameter of the hose.